· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Amazon Tank

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I love your tank, and beautiful Angel fish!
    46 gallon bow front planted - 6 Longfin Neon Rosy Barbs, 1 male Golden Sailfin Mollie, 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 Panda Corys, 1 German Blue Ram, 1 Apple snail.
    29 Gallon - mix of plastic and real plants - 1 Angel fish, 2 male fancy guppies, 2 German Blue Rams, 8 Neon Tetras, 2 Ottos.
    5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.
    Pictures of my 46 Gallon here.
    Picture of my 29 gallon here.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's interesting. I have heard of some fish that are not supposed to work together.....work together. I guess it depends on the individual's temperament.

I wouldn't suggest starting a saltwater tank that small. That's a disaster waiting to happen if you haven't kept saltwater before. 3 gallons is too small for a clownfish if you ask me. The suggested starting size for saltwater is 40 gallons, but I started with a 20 gallon and it seems to be doing fine so far. It is very expensive and time consuming compared to a freshwater. Don't let me scare you away. I LOVE looking at my saltwater tank. The hard work definitely pays off in the end. Just be sure to do a ton of research. I suggest searching "bulk reef supply" and "newyorksteelo" on youtube. BRS has a lot of information, as does newyorksteelo. Those were my two main sources of information on youtube. Everything else was asking questions on here and reading into every one's build threads on the smaller tanks.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dlee View Post
    I love your tank, and beautiful Angel fish!
    Thank you :)

AllenIsbell:
    I do know that it would be a really taxing endeavor and it's probably just the dream of madman, but it would be awesome if I got it to work, would be an awesome desk tank. Due to my un-emplyed status, it's probably a very far off dream...sadness, but I've been researching it since I was 15 and really got into aquariums because I've always hoped to branch into saltwater one day. Making a 3gal saltwater tank IS possible, though I've really only seen coral only tanks in this manner. Have you seen the coral vase on youtube?
    70 Gal Planted Rio Negro Angelfish Biotope with:
    1 Whip Tail Pleco
    7 Hatchet fish
    11 Glo Light tetras, 6 Black Skirted Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    3 Wild Type Angelfish
    Current Plants:
    Giant Amazon Sword, Narrow Leaf Java, Val, moss on driftwood

0 Not allowed!
    Nice pictures but the cat "stole the show" . I've never had one sit on a tank like that but had two jump in the tank when I was doing a water change.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I have. I have seen many pico reefs. None that small should have a clownfish. It's not impossible to have, just very difficult. I believe anyone can do it as long as they have properly researched and understand every aspect of keeping the corals they want. The less amount of water you have, the less of a buffer you have for mistakes or parameter swings. You can quickly wipe out a tank if you don't stay on top of it. Even something as little as a temperature swing can kill off a lot of life. It's not recommended to run a canister filter on a saltwater tank. You are better off just doing larger weekly water changes. A protein skimmer is your best bet. My AquaC Remora isn't the best in the world, but it removes a TON of nasty crap.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1 View Post
    Nice pictures but the cat "stole the show" . I've never had one sit on a tank like that but had two job in the tank when I was doing a water change.
    My cat got on my tank once.

Once.

And it better not happen again.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1 View Post
    I've never had one sit on a tank like that but had two jump in the tank when I was doing a water change.
    LOL all 4 of mine just love my tank and battle each-other for the throne, the warm fish-tank light. It's very humorous to be sitting in the other room and just hear "THUNK" because one of the cats was trying to hunt a fish. It's an enclosed tank with only a filter cutout and a 6"x18" slot in the top so I know that's why I haven't had any cats in the tank swimming.

AllenBell:
    I say canister and sump interchangeably at times >_< I know they aren't the same though, but that's more what I meant with a protein skimmer. The points you made though apply for both types of aquaria keeping though and I've already accomplished keeping the 3gal as a freshwater tank, add on more technical aspects and salt and it's a saltwater :D The clownfish is more what I was referring to being a dream, it'll probably end up being coral, shrimp and hermit crabs in reality if it ever comes to be.
    1 Whip Tail Pleco
    7 Hatchet fish
    6 Bronze Corys
    3 Wild Type Angelfish
    Current Plants:

0 Not allowed!
    By the way, Cardinals and Angels, great combo!!

They grow together than no problem with the Angels eating the Cards.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    By the way, LOVE your sarcasm :) If it happens it happens and if it doesn't I'm good with that too, I know the risks.
    1 Whip Tail Pleco
    7 Hatchet fish
    6 Bronze Corys
    3 Wild Type Angelfish
    Current Plants:

0 Not allowed!
    No sarcasm intended at all.
    -Vince Lombardi