· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    do i have to worry about my bb dying in my canister if it's off for several hours? or if I keep it wet will it be okay?
    No, you're BB will survive, just wet it once in a while with dechlorinated water.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    no, if you re-silicone it won't be running tonight. The silicone takes a few days to cure. It involves scrapping all old silicone off and re-applying.

There is special stuff, some people use GE, I found stuff at Home Depot (DAP) that was meant for aquarium use.

Try putting water in to to locate the leak. It could be a hose or filter... I think that should be priority, find the leak and determine what needs fixed / replaced
    Resealing a tank with a leak is not an easy and quick job. I would find a new tank if you can.

With that said, you can repair the old tank, put as Hardy pointed out, you need to scrape off all the old silicone, apply new 100% silicone with no anti-anything in it. Then the new silicone has to cure.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Ugh! Leaks suck! I had this happen to a 75 gallon a few years ago and I feel your pain. Where are your fish, put the filter on the container they are in and you won't lose any bacteria. If it is running on the large Tupperware container and there is no fish in the container, put some ammonia in the Tupperware and you won't lose any bacteria.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh my, this is terrible! You might want to run a dry rag around the outside and see where the water is coming from.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, try to figure out if the leak is coming from the tank itself. Is the stand it sets on wet? If so that would mean the leak is coming from above. If the stand isn't wet, then maybe one of the hose connections is leaking. It's worth the time it takes to find the leak.

If your LFS doesn't have a tank big enough, maybe they could house the fish temporarily? It would involve moving the fish which would be hard on them, but it's possible.

And yes, you could have a bad seal in the canister filter.
    Last edited by Taurus; 01-29-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    The leak on my 75 was about half-way up the back corner and the stand underneath that corner was wet from the top all the way down to the floor. On one of my daughters tanks the bottom cracked and again there was water on the stand and all over the carpet. You said the stand on your 90 was dry. Are you sure the tank is leaking? If water is leaking from the seams or from a broken pane, I don't see how the stand would be dry. Is it possible that your little one might have helped mommy with a water change (not sure how young/old your child is) or maybe one of your cats went for a swim?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the condolences everyone. The fish are good. they are in a big tupperware box with an HOB running and a heater.
    Okay. hubby and I have completely drained the tank and moved it off the stand. the stand is bone dry. this tells me it's not the tank Whew. Very good news. So it must be the canister filter, however, the floor of the stand where the canister sits is also bone dry. So that leaves the hoses coming out of the back of the tank. I checked them first thing this morning and they were dry. Is it possible they had reached their peak output but that's where the leak was? the floor all around the base of the stand is sopped. I lost about 2 inches of water from the tank over night.

the other day I had trouble priming the canister after a water change. could I have put too much pressure on it and popped the seal as taurus suggested? but if so, wouldn't the floor beneath the canister have been wet?

Very confused and have no idea where to go from here. Tear the canister apart? What am I looking for?
    thanks again
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Is your HOB filter leaking or overflowing? LOL....or is one of your fish throwing old water out of the tank just to make sure your doing your water changes?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Is your HOB filter leaking or overflowing? LOL....or is one of your fish throwing old water out of the tank just to make sure your doing your water changes?
    No, the hob is working fine in the tupperware. no leaks. and there was way too much water for a fish to throw LOL at least 2 inches dropped.

I'm starting to think I messed something up the other day when I had trouble priming the canister. Maybe I started a sort of siphon that caused some spillage through the intake and outtake tubes and possibly it had reached it's peak over night and that's why the tubes were dry on the outside when I checked them. I have 1 spray bar set up on the canister. all the water coming out of the spray bar this morning was foamy - like it comes out of a water faucet with a filter on it? this was the first thing that alerted me I had a problem. Then I noticed the sopped floor and THEN I panicked and assumed I had a leake and that's why the spray bar output was funny. I'm starting to think this all had to do with that priming episode and the water leaked out through the hoses. urg....
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Better to be safe than sorry!
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's