· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Exclamation Plant problems, CO2 injection, and Finally low nitrates.

0 Not allowed!
    A lot of possible categories I could post this in, so I'll just post it here.
    Ok! Let's start at the beginning. About 1.5 months ago, I only had 40 gallons of filtration for my 30 gallon tank. My nitrate readings were through the roof by the time I would do my water changes on the weekends, around 80 to 120 ppm. I had a very low stock at that point, with 3 harlequins and 5 black neons, and there hadn't been any deaths for months, despite high readings. Over those few months, my wisteria grew at its own will, with some root tabs by API supplemented occasionally. The only propagation I would do was when the wisteria would grow so tall and block out light (from the cheap t8 17 watt general effect aqueon bulb I have) to the leaves growing below that were starting to wilt, brown, and sometimes eventually fall off. But if I kept up in my plant maintenance, this wouldn't happen. I always had good growth in the wisteria with no other problems. I then upped my stock to a clown pleco and 7 total harlequin rasboras. It was also brought to my attention that with a pleco, I should get more filtration. So I got a good deal on an aquaclear 50 for $27 off amazon, and installed it. I now had 90 gallons of filtration for a 30 gallon tank, plus an air bubbler in the corner.
    The effects on my nitrate were enormous. I kept up with the water change schedule, and my nitrates are always below 20 ppm, maybe even 10 ppm by the end of the week, even with the pleco. However, something odd is happening to my wisteria leaves. The leaves, primarily the ones closest to the substrate, on almost all my wisteria plants, are turning transparent. I'm not sure why. My only thinking is that now that the nitrate is so low, there isn't enough for the plants. Is this true? I have no other explanation. So, I've decided to make a DIY yeast/sugar CO2 injector. Will this improve the transparency of the leaves? I'm making the one on this thread, http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=40775
    and currently waiting for the silicone to dry. I'm using this silicone, which I believe to be okay since the silicone never touches any aquarium water.http://www.epicsignsonline.com/Silic...C-SILICONE.htm
    So in short, how will this injector affect my wisteria specifically, will they green up more, become more luscious, less transparent, taller, whatever. Also, why are they transparent in the first place? Pics may be available if anyone thinks they are needed and when I get the time.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    good work on getting the extra filtration. you need it!

yes, plants use and need nitrates. If there isn't enough then that can be a deficiency.

however, the main driver for plant growth and all other factors is the Lighting.

if you don't have adequate lighting, then you dont need co2, and don't need as much ferts, but too much light means more co2 and more ferts. it is commonly referred to as the "Plant Triangle"
    Each corner is lights, ferts, co2. when you increase one, the others have to increase in their own proportion to keep the triangle balanced.

lights drive the photosynthesis process, so you need to start there.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank You for the quick response.
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    good work on getting the extra filtration. you need it!

yes, plants use and need nitrates. If there isn't enough then that can be a deficiency.

however, the main driver for plant growth and all other factors is the Lighting.

if you don't have adequate lighting, then you dont need co2, and don't need as much ferts, but too much light means more co2 and more ferts. it is commonly referred to as the "Plant Triangle"
    Each corner is lights, ferts, co2. when you increase one, the others have to increase in their own proportion to keep the triangle balanced.Probably a dumb question, but then is nitrate a fertilizer?

lights drive the photosynthesis process, so you need to start there.Then why did my wisteria previously do ok with the low lighting I have?
    Journals Here

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentoads41 View Post
    (from the cheap t8 17 watt general effect aqueon bulb I have)
    Is this the only light on your tank? Much easier to replace that then build a DIY co2 system, which wisteria definitely do not need. Get a dual T5 fixture that is in your budget, pick up some Flourish Excel & Comprehensive and watch you'll have much better results.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not a dumb question.
    Nitrate is a fert in heavy planted tanks.
    but normally your fish waste produces sufficient amounts to cover that, and or the common liquid/root ferts.

and the wisteria could have started to fall off due to: lack of nutrients, light became too old/dull, or change up in your ferts.

but i second fishnoob, co2 isn't going to do much, especially for wisteria and you'll need a better light to drive that process.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, it makes sense what you are saying. Upgrade the lighting. Question then: will CO2 have an effect on my 10 gallon with dwarf four leaf clover in it, and an 18 watt floramax bulb from aqueon? With the same root tabs.
    Journals Here

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also, wisteria aren't the only plants, there is anubias, dwarf four leaf, and crypto wendtii.
    Journals Here

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The 10g probably would thrive more with CO2 because it sounds like the light is adequate. The other plants you listed in your 30g are probably starved for light, best bang for your buck and time is going to be a quick lighting upgrade, flourish excel works well too. If you don't get the results you want you can then go after CO2 but I think you'll have a pretty big difference.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, gotcha. Makes sense to me, thank you! How much should I expect to pay for a better lighting system that will get the job done?
    Last edited by Greentoads41; 01-30-2013 at 11:30 PM.
    Journals Here

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentoads41 View Post
    Ok, gotcha. Makes sense to me, thank you! How much should I expect to pay for a better lighting system that will get the job done?
    that is a catch 22, lights go from 30-600bucks. haha.
    LED's last longer, and run cheaper...becoming more feasible and cheaper as time progresses.
    t5ho's are good, but bulb replacement gets expensive as the years pass.
    a good place to start with light research is here:
    http://www.americanaquariumproducts...._Lighting.html

that'll help with your judgement of the next light.
    i'm currently exploring with a finnex fugeray LED on my 40b.