· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Update

0 Not allowed!
    So tonight I went out and got myself two lovely female bettas on my way home from work. I ll post pics of them when they get use to me and start to pose for the camera. I am not sure if I over paid for these ladies. They cost me $4.99USD each, is this too much? I usually shop around but I didn't feel like running around today. Feeling a bit under the weather.

I added a DeepBlue betta heat stick( which I hate). It is only temporary until I find something better, Im in no rush and neither is my wallet It works fine keeping the water at 80 deg F.

I also set up the AquaClear 20 that has been running on my 30gallon for the last 2 month.

The last thing I added was this cool little glass planter that I found on Ebay. It is currently empty. I'm not sure what to do with it, but it looks awesome lol. Not sure if it goes well in this tank. I am open to suggest. Its called NAG-aqua music Aquarium Tank Mini Crystal Glass Pot, such a long name for such a tiny thing. It cost me $15, but I am happy with it even though I have no idea what and where to use it with. Here are some pics of it.

oh you can see one of the girls in this pic. I also added Marimo moss balls. I believe moss in very important for dwarf shrimp. I did not want to deal with loose java moss or having to it down. I am trying to keep this tank as simple and minimalist as possible.

I probably will eventually plant something in it like Hemianthus callitrichoides(baby dwarf tears). That would give the future shrimp a second level of grazing. I am just worried that it might distract to much from the rock garden. IDK.

I am also planning on getting a white background. I think this will make the rocks and plants POP. What do you guys think?
    Roll the Dice!

Smile New Edition

0 Not allowed!
    I stop by LFS and got a new girl. I got a crowntail female betta. Now I have a total of 3 bettas in the tank. I will prob add 2 more by the end of the month.

I have noticed the mirco swords are wilting a little ( or is called melting in aqua terms?) Its not so bad maybe one leaf ever other plant. I thinks this is happening due to shock of replanting. Next week I will be adding root tabs. I am not a big fan of ferts in a shrimp tank, but I have used them before in the other shrimp tank. I think root tabs are safer then liquid ferts for shrimp. Since I won't be adding the shrimp for a couple month anyway, figured this will help plants establish healthy root system. I have read that mirco sword can be difficult without a CO2 pump. We will see. I like gambling.

Its a little hard to tell from the pic. Notice the different coloration of the dying leaf.

Usually it is always best to prune dying leaves from plants, aquatic and terrestrial, but since they are just planted it is best to wait a little for the plant to recover from the initial shock. Just like fish, to much stress might kill the whole plant. I will most likely wait 2 weeks before pruning. Next week will add root tabs.
    Roll the Dice!

Default Pygmy Chain Sword

0 Not allowed!
    The pygmy chain swords are doing good.

Moss balls doing good too. I love those things. People either love em or hate em.
    Roll the Dice!

0 Not allowed!
    Plants look good, although I'm not keen on the moss balls (personal taste for this style of set-up).

This might be an annoying suggestion (as you're already planted and set), but...
    Have you considered rotating the two smaller rocks so that they all lean to the right? Like this ----> / / /
    Seems to be more in line with the Iwagumi style if they look harmonious. At the moment they look splayed, although this will lesson as the plants bed in.

Be aware that some planting substrates leech ammonia. I'd be concerned that you have stock in there already so watch your ammonia levels and test daily. It's a good idea to do small, partial water changes on a daily basis in the first week of set-up.

Looking forward to seeing your shrimp stock in. You might want to consider using some sort of carpeting moss at the front - I'd consider moss essential for a shrimp set up.

Overall, a professional looking set-up. Clean and slick. Keep it up!
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    Plants look good, although I'm not keen on the moss balls (personal taste for this style of set-up).

I love the moss ball in general, BUT I agree with you totally about being out of place. I am using them for a purely functional purpose. I did not want to use free floating moss, such as java moss, or have to tie it down to something. I have it in my other shrimp tank and it goes all over the place. With the moss ball they genrally stay where I put them unless I just cleaned them then they tend to float. Looks really crazy when they do lol. They are there to provide grazing surface for the shrimp until the plants carpet the whole tank.

This might be an annoying suggestion (as you're already planted and set), but...

Suggestions are never annoying to me. Suggests and (+/-) critique are very important to me. How else will I grow?

Have you considered rotating the two smaller rocks so that they all lean to the right? Like this ----> / / /
    Seems to be more in line with the Iwagumi style if they look harmonious. At the moment they look splayed, although this will lesson as the plants bed in.

I did and it looked a little to scripted if you know what I mean. I tired to make it seem like the smaller rocks are "looking" at the big rock. Maybe I crazy, but I feel like the first rock is kinda "looking" at the big rock and pointing to the smaller rock on left at the same time, that leads you to look to the left smaller rock which is only "looking" at the big rock.... I am probably just crazy. I think the smaller rocks purpose in a rock garden is to lean towards the big rock rather then lean with the big rock.

Be aware that some planting substrates leech ammonia. I'd be concerned that you have stock in there already so watch your ammonia levels and test daily. It's a good idea to do small, partial water changes on a daily basis in the first week of set-up.

No Worries here. I have used this substrate alot and it doesn't change water chemistry at all. It actually suppose to maintain or stabilize it. IDK I am not a chemist

Looking forward to seeing your shrimp stock in. You might want to consider using some sort of carpeting moss at the front - I'd consider moss essential for a shrimp set up.

I agree with you again. I think moss is very important to shrimp. That is why I left the back of the big rock bare. I will eventually toss more moss balls there and let them flatten out. That way it will stay in place and I will not need to worry about pruning it or the filter blowing it all over the place. Trying to keep things neat.Why aren't the moss ball back there already, you ask? Thats because these ball are on loan from my community tank and both my gf and SAEs won't be happy if I let these flatten out.

Overall, a professional looking set-up. Clean and slick. Keep it up!
    Thanks... you making me blush. I am really trying to make this work and hoping people will like it when its done.
    Roll the Dice!

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the detailed replies (and taking my suggestions in good spirit). I think the shrimp will enjoy the moss balls
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Fantastic work, Gogi! Like Firefly said, it's quite professional looking. Are you going to put a plant in that glass planter or see if the Bettas use it as a hammock? ;P I bet a male would probably build a bubble nest in there.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Kevin Not sure what to do with that planter yet. It might not even stay in that tank. I put a mossball in there yesterday and the girl bettas try to squeese in their wih the ball. I ll try to capture pics.
    Roll the Dice!

Smile Jumpers!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Plant update....

Micro Swords are still in shock mode or they do not like my lighting. I am NOT getting another light. Spending $$$$ on an additional plant light is not in the budget. Guess they either make it or they don't.

Dosing 1 ml Excel every other day. Root tabs went in over the weekend. I am confident the swords will be okay later on. Patience is key with plants.

On the bright side the pygmy chain sword threw out its first "jumper" LOL. Unlike most plants that send out runners below the substrate, this plant shoots out the young plants from above the substrate. No "runners"

Last edited by Gogi; 02-06-2013 at 12:34 AM.
    Roll the Dice!

0 Not allowed!
    Gogi, those things will overrun your tank if you let them. Keep those suckers in check! ;P While they do throw runners out, above the substrate, they will attach themselves (quite well), via roots. Sometimes, however, they'll shoot a runner up and out, so you have a floating plant, then another one back down which attaches itself.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?