· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool Iwagumi Shrimp Nano

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone and anyone who stops by to check out this thread.

Well in case you don't know I have a severe case of MTS like many of you in this wonderful community. Since there is no known cure for MTS my girlfriend had to step in and I was forbidden from getting anymore tanks. As it turns out my girlfriend is an enabler and got me a Fluval ebi tank for Christmas( good thing I gave up on trying to understand the female mind or else my head would have exploded). I jumped for joy and proclaimed my ever lasting love to my gf and dwarf shrimp lol.

Enough intro now for the fun stuff. I decided to attempt an Iwagumi stlye tank. Iwagumi means rock formation in Japanese. Iwagumi traditionally is used to describe a Japanese rock garden( google it, very interesting stuff). A Iwagumi aqua scape needs at least 3 stones, with one big stone for the focal point. 1 or 2 kinds of plants in order to keep the focus on the stones rather then the plants. Of course these are only guidelines and all aquas capes are open to artistic interruption.

Equipment
    AquaClear 20
    Eheim Jager 50 watts (need to find a smaller heater)
    Fluval CFL 13 watt( might get a second one)

Substrate
    Fluval Plant Stratum 8.8lbs (bottom)
    Fluval Shrimp Stratum 4lbs (top)

Hardscape
    3x Petrified wood

Plants
    Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae(micro swords)-mid to back ground
    Echinodorus tenellus(pygmy chain sword-mid to front ground

Livestock
    Betta fish-temporarily kept to keep cycle until I get dwarf shrimp in March
    Dwarf shrimp
    Nerite snails
    Roll the Dice!

Thumbs up Picture Time!!

0 Not allowed!
    Here are step by step photos of my new set up. I did all this tonight so there will most likely be some changes in the very near, near, and farther near future.
    Here is the tank with its default background. It is nice but I cannot use it for Iwagumi style.

Took off the background and used razor blade to remove silicone.

Hardscape setup.

Lilaeopsis brasiliensis My only complaint of the substrate is that it doesn't hold the plants down.
    Roll the Dice!

Thumbs up more pics

0 Not allowed!
    Echinodorus tenellus

top view. Should always make sure to keep plants moist during planting. Use spray bottle.

I like trying new things. Saw online someone using paper towels to fill tank without disturbing substrate. It worked really well.

Almost half way filled.
    Roll the Dice!

Default more pics.

0 Not allowed!
    Side view of the tank filled.

I need some lesson on photography and a better camera
    Roll the Dice!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That looks really sharp already...I can't wait to see it with the shrimp and Betta in it! And I think your photos look just fine. You're making me regret trading in my 29 gallon setup... Thanks for sharing!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nice tank! Looking forward to updates...

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That is pretty fantastic looking! What type of shrimp are you contemplating and where will you acqurie them?
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone.

I plan on getting some orange neocardinas to start with. The tank should be good in 2 to 3 month for the shrimp. So i will probably get them end of March or early April. Once i see that the shrimp are doing good(reproducing and staying alive) I will add more expensive shrimp. I want to try to breed bee shrimp, like the king kong shrimp and panda shrimp etc.

I will most likely get them from Alphaprobreeder. I have dealt with them in the past and I have never had an issue(knock on wood).
    Last edited by Gogi; 01-29-2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: grammar
    Roll the Dice!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I will eventually get some shrimp myself and I thank you for that link to the alphapro breeders. I look forward to seeing your stock and how things go with the shrimp. I want to do a multi cultural shrimp tank with oranges, greens, yellows, blues, and reds......will they get along together?
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

0 Not allowed!
    All shrimp get along wih the exception of Ghost shrimp. Ghost shrimp are big and aggressive feeders.

If you plan on breeding certain colors you should not mix neocardinas. For example I breed blue pearl shrimps and crystal red in the same tank. They dont interbreed because blue pearls are neocardinas sp. where as the crystal reds are cardina sp. If I where to add my blue pearl with my cherry shrimp, they will definetly interbreed since they are both neocardina sp. Their offspring will most likely revert to the wild form or have duller colors, but there is always a tiny possiblitly of a new color lol. Most of the time not. You will need to research and find out what it is you want to do. I plan on selling my shrimp once I establish a good size colony s i dont want to interbreed.
    Last edited by Gogi; 01-29-2013 at 02:59 PM.
    Roll the Dice!