· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Stocking idea's for 80g tank

0 Not allowed!
    I have an 80 gallon tank. It currently has a horrible mix of cichlids in it so they will need to go. I want some idea's of what fish I'm going to put in after the others are gone.
    I'm tore between cichlids or other tropical fish. I'm not a big fan of owning goldfish. If I could put cichlids with some other tropical fish then that would be awesome. I'm a big fan of Rainbow Fish.

Anyway, give me some idea's, maybe just write down what you have in your tanks, write down what you would like in a 80g or just a combination that works well. I'm open to all idea's so just let them flow

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What type of 80gallon do you have?
    I've seen them being long and tall, so that'll help.
    2nd-filtration you are running?

And are you planning to keep your current cichlids?
    If so-which do you have/want to keep?

If you have an 80 and it is the longer version (4ft+) and you fancy the rainbow's.

I'd do a school of rainbows
    and a bottom feeder of your choice (couple of pleco's of your choice-(1/2 rupper lips or bristlenose)
    and some rams

I think that'd be a lively tank. (but this is pending your tank dimensions/filtration)

0 Not allowed!
    smaller peaceful cichlids (smaller geophagines, sajicas, keyholes, mesonauta, kribs, etc) with rainbowfish bigger than their mouths?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The tank is 4foot. Im not planning on keeping any of the current cichlids as they are just to aggressive for other types of fish. Although I do have 2 Clown Loaches but I would need more and they would get to big for my tank anyway.

Mizzoutank your idea sounds good. Im not that keen on Rams though. Would keyhole cichlids work instead maybe...?

To be honest, I'm not sure of what filter I have on my tank. I've had the tank for around 8-9 months now and I got it from a friend who couldn't fit it into their new apartment and they got the whole set up from their ex partner who just left it at their house so she didn't know what it was either , it seems to work well and it keeps my water clean but it's looking on the old side so I'm going out to purchase a new one soon anyway and that way I'll be happier knowing what I have.

If I got rainbows then I would probably get Banded Rainbows.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    could you take a picture of the filtration and or look to see if it has a sticker on it?

generally speaking, most people will have 1/2 the needed filtration.
    After all the biomedia, and stuff in the tank. the filtration turnover is about cut in half.
    so that is why we generally recommend at least 2x filtration for the tank size.
    but most filters-regardless of their size help keep the water clear, its their biological capacity that is the issue.
    for example-i have a 45gallon tank.
    my filtration is rated for 120 gallons.

and i'm not an expert on keyhole's (although i'm looking to get some myself. lol)
    someone will have to chime in on that one.

i'm glad you realize the issue with the clown loaches. cool fish, but need at least 50more gallons for what you want.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    scoured it over and found a patch of writing that was half rubbed out, decoded it though :-D

It says Resun SP 2500L Internal Power Filter then some other things underneath. I'm googling it but not getting much info on it though ? Would you recommend a site thats in english?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    if it were me I would put some drift wood and plant it heavily and keep a mixture of rainbows like crimson spotted banded just keep to the Australian rainbows. I'm in the process of changing my 4ft to an all rainbow tank
    4ft mbuna mangaino and yellows
    4ft rainbow tank
    4ft planted community
    16g nano planted shrimp and neon tetras
    10g nano reef

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you dont yet have a specific wish list, by all means take on board any suggestions offered, but also cruise some lfs's or the net, (without your wallet) and see what catches your eye. Put together a list of what you'd like and put it up here for review. That way you finish up with your creation and a great sense of satifaction. As with most things fish related, patience is the key

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I really love Crimson Spotted Rainbowfish and Congo Tetra's. I was thinking that some other fish I could put in there could be a school of Cory's and maybe some Kuhli Loaches, also maybe some Redline Rasbora's but maybe that might be to many fish for the middle layer? I'm thinking of a very green planted tank with some larger rocks also with maybe a sand floor.

It's just an idea I have. I also think that maybe I might just want an Oscar though haha So I can go from one thing to the opposite and I'm still just not sure!

Cool I <3 both of mine :-D

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asherbonnie View Post
    I also think that maybe I might just want an Oscar though haha
    Yes... More than you know... You want an Oscar

Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.