· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Tank Glass Fogging

0 Not allowed!
    I grow beard algae for my gobies and had a 20L set up for the algae. I did not scrub the sides, simply rolling a plastic plant to collect the algae for placement in the goby tank. About a month ago I moved the algae to a storage container and reclaimed the tank for a male guppy display tank. Last weekend I put a black background on it and moved the light to the front of the tank to highlight the guppy colors. It works well and looks quite dramatic except that some of the front glass looks cloudy as if it had a slight film on it. It's definitely on the inside and I also noticed that the magnet cleaner shimmies when I try to clear it away. Yet, there is absolutely no visible algae, even when scrutinized with my nose on the glass. In addition, it is not an even coating, more like clouds on a summer day with oddly shaped clear areas.

When I reclaimed the tank I used netting and the magnet to brush the sides. Is it possible that the algae permanently effected my tank with tiny pits or something? Any suggestion on how to remove this?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Wendy
    Wendy :-)

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you could post some pictures, it may give us a better sense of what you're talking about. I can't really tell at the moment.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    second that.

i've had foggy glass, but it's been a bacteria bloom, algae, and plain old being dirty. so pictures will help verify and allow us to give a proper solution

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    I too have that stuff (bacteria, NOT algae) grow on my glass all the time - it is fish slime (discus produce a lot), trace food particles, and some fish waste all of which the bacteria grows on. The best manner to remove it is to do weekly cleanings/wipes using a cloth rag just for that purpose; just clean the rag well in tap and let dry for a week. Use ONLY for that purpose. Never use soap to clean the rag. When rinsing and drying fails, throw the rag away.

Do note that this is most often the "good' bacteria and it does no harm and really, in fact, does do a little good but compared to the filter, it is of no importance. I was able to cut the growth of mine down by a factor of two when I started up my small, in tank algae scrubber. The algae competes directly for those types of organics and hence, reduces the total amount in the tank. So, scrubbers, besides removing nitrates/phosphates will consume complex organics to some extent.
    Last edited by Cermet; 01-29-2013 at 11:36 AM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your replies, folks. I've tried two phones and a digital camera but can't get it to show up in a picture.

There doesn't seem to be anywhere else to go with this thread, but I definitely appreciate your comments. I think I'll get a new magnet scrubber and see if that will make a difference.
    Wendy :-)