· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default First Planted tank

0 Not allowed!
    I feel like I'm jumping in the deep end here. I'm want to convert my African Cichlid tank to a medium/heavily planted community tank.

I've never had any plant's in tanks before (besides the fake ones and I would really like some help on setting it up.

I need to learn the basic's in more simple terms someone who has no idea about planting can under stand

I would be very grateful if you could help me from the ground up (literally).

Which sort of plants are the better ones and which ones would go better with my combination of fish I have going in there etc.

I have an 80 Gallon 4ft tank.

My fish list consists of:

20x Cardinal Tetras
    8x Congo Tetras
    8x Banded Rainbowfish
    8x Kuhli Loaches
    6x Bandit Corys
    6x Other type of Cory (apart from albino)

My tank stats will be :

Temp: 24-26.C
    pH: 6.5-7.0
    Hardness: 9-15dH

Im not sure if that helps or not but it's there.

I was thinking along the lines of something that has lots of green, nothing to full so the fish still have lots of space to swim and some nice short greenery on the floor for the Cory's and Loaches.

I know I am asking a lot but even if you could just point me towards a good beginners website then it will be muchly appreciated

The picture's attached are the type of look I have in mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Fish aren't meant to be in a box, kid. It does things to them"

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What is your current lighting? What is the wattage and what kind of bulbs do you have?

The pics you posted seem to be high tech, high light tanks that require a lot of maintanence (and often a lot of money!).

You need to decide a few things before starting a planted tank.

What's your budget?

How much time are you willing to spend on daily maintenance?

Basically, there are a few different types of planted tanks. There are high tech, high light tanks that involve expensive lighting, fertilizers, and CO2.

There are low light, low tech tanks that you basically just set up and leave alone.

Then there is everything in between.

My favorite planted tanks are medium tech, medium light tanks. The budget will be a bit easier on the wallet, and the maintenance isn't back breaking, but you can still get a nice bit of greenery growing.

My tanks have medium lighting, around 2-3WPG of T5 HO lighting. I dose dry fertilizers (when I remember) and use DIY CO2 (using wine yeast so it lasts longer). I wish I could afford a pressurized system, but it's just not in the budget right now. I've been able to get some nice growth... but then I get lazy and stop doing regular fert dosing and fail to refill my CO2 mixture. Some of my plants die, and the algae starts taking over. In other words, if you aren't going to be dedicated to the tanks, it might be better to go with a low tech tank that you can just do regular water changes and nothing else, though that means you won't get a nice green forest in your tank. Your choice!
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I need a new lighting unit because the old one blew, I haven't gotten a proper one yet because of the plants, I know they will need certain lighting so until I know which ones best for what plants I'm getting I'm not going to replace it with proper lights.

As for my budget, I guess it's a basic one, I'm not sure how much all these things are going to cost all up but I have money put away.

I'm not sure how long maintenance on a tank like that will take but I usually have a few hours doing nothing around the house each day as I study and work part time.

I think maybe I might go for the Medium kind of tank then, if it's more simple and it'll still give me the look I want.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You can probably find a decent light fixture on ebay. How tall is your tank?
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

0 Not allowed!
    Planting isn't nearly as difficult as newbies suspect. Plants need nutrients and light. With cories a low dense matt isn't a good idea and also not likely to happen.

Start by getting some light, 45 inch is a standard size for T5 tubes. Get a dual T5 or T5HO unit and you got the light

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    lighting gets expensive real quick.
    the two big things that drive the costs are the ballast and reflectors. bulbs are bulbs and vary slightly.

there is no problem jumping in head first, but if you are wanting any of those tanks in the pictures you provided you are talking this generic price range:
    150-200 for a light at the min
    150-200 for pressurized co2
    50bucks to stock up on ferts-both tabs/dry or liquid.

it gets expensive fast, but if you want demanding plants and fast growth, then you need all that.

i personally am not going to deal with all that and the sensitivity of playing with the balance of co2/ferts/light to get optimal growth, and no algae, its just too much effort for what i want to do.

so i bought a new led fixture that provides med-ish light, and letting nature take its course.
    and surprisingly in the 1week it has been on, i'm getting new growth on plants, so turned out to be a solid purchase.

just remember with the bulb route, about every yr to 18months, you'll need to buy new bulbs as they need replacing to keep the same "brightness"

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    The pictures you are showing require very advanced equipment if you want any good chance to succeed with that heavy of growth. You will need an active CO2 supply system with pH control, excellent lighting, special substrate and a lot of test kits and supplements to both measure what you need and feed the plants. Otherwise, the odds are against you.

That said, it could be done with low tech (but not low light) but that is something that is hard to do and not get major algae problems.

Remember, just getting a hood is not the issue but the getting the correct color and correct energy intensity in the proper area of spectrum that plants need is critical and what you need to understand. A planted tank (high density) does not use the standard white light that fish look best in nor that come with most hoods. That and CO2 supply are the critical issues for any high light, densily planted tank. Depending on your tap, supplements will be needed or again, algae will get the upperhand.

I feel a very nice planted tank is well worth the effort (and learning curve - that is just part of this hobby) but if these issue are not addressed for a low tech tank, then disappointment is very likely.

Here is an inclusive site on lighting for plants - read it and understand it before putting down $$$ for a hood:
    http://www.americanaquariumproducts....ng.html#lumens
    Last edited by Cermet; 02-03-2013 at 02:10 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    If you buy lights seperately it gets expensive. PErhaps I'm a bit spoiled with all the medium light aquarium kits on the market here.

Anyway, my tank has twin T5 lights but no CO2, never felt the need.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Should add that their are SHO CFL that are rather inexpensive and provide top level plant light; they come in standard screw in bulbs but can be either standard spirl CFL or long half loop tubes for hoods. These are very good and very cost effective. (SHO: Supper High Output: used for green houses and available for aquariums.)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had someone offer me a swap, a light for my tank for some of my fish x3 Giraffe Cichlids and x2 Red Forest Jewels. He said he has a tonne of lights, Which one should I ask for? Should I be asking for the 'T5HO' unit? Are the light's I am supposed to get for a planted tank bulbs or the actual lighting unit? Also how much would these lighting units be worth? He said that they were used but were in good condition ? For a 4 foot tank.

Nikelodeon 79- My tanks is 50cm tall

Thank you everyone for all your replies, your post's have all been very helpful to me.