· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Treating one thing to treating another

0 Not allowed!
    Im currently treating my tank for white spot (which I THINK has nearly cleared) however I now think my Betta has fin rot... I noticed a small amount of black on the end of its tail which im sure is getting worse, so can I start using fin rot meds as soon as im done with the white spot treatment or will the white spot stuff need removing via carbon pad before I dose the fin rot stuff?

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

0 Not allowed!
    IMO, it is always best to only treat with on med at one time. If you can do that, I would suggest removing the ich meds before treating the fin rot

How bad is the fin rot and how long have you been treating for ich ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Make sure you do not stop ick treatment too soon or it will come right back. Ick will kill them and a bit of fin rot will not.........at least for a long time.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The fin rot isnt bad, it is only the very tips of his tail. Im going to continue white spot treatment a little longer, ive been using it for a week and a half.

I guess i'll need a carbon pad to remove the white spot treatment? Or is there a way to remove meds that doesnt involve messing with filter media?
    Last edited by serbusfish; 01-31-2013 at 01:11 PM.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have a QT or hospital tank set up? If so, you could place the Betta in the QT and treat'em for fin rot.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by serbusfish View Post
    The fin rot isnt bad, it is only the very tips of his tail. Im going to continue white spot treatment a little longer, ive been using it for a week and a half.

I guess i'll need a carbon pad to remove the white spot treatment? Or is there a way to remove meds that doesnt involve messing with filter media?
    Water changes will remove most of the medication. You can do a large water change at the end of treatment in order to remove most of the meds. A carbon pad will help remove the rest.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Do you have a QT or hospital tank set up? If so, you could place the Betta in the QT and treat'em for fin rot.
    Unfortunately no I dont atm, which sucks as I have noticed his fins are worse than I thought they were.

I went out and bought some fin rot med and was advised by my local store owner to stop using the white spot meds (once white spot has gone of course), do a 25% water change, wait 24 hours, then use the fin rot meds. THEN add carbon once fin rot has been taken care of.

0 Not allowed!
    In my opinion, you need to do a larger water change that just 25%. I'd do a 75% water change 3 days after the last ich spot is gone. After that water change, I'd wait for a couple of hours and do another 50% water change, or do it the next day. You have to get that water as clean as possible. Then I would treat for fin rot.

Use only one med at a time. Meds are most effective when used early and with the cleanest water possible. Make sense?

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

You can never be sure of what might happen when you have two different meds in the tank, both good or bad.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]