· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Help for Mixed Tank

0 Not allowed!
    I just realized my 3 little clown loaches have ick----someone told me tetra dissolving tablets for ick were safe with all fix..I have plecos, a raphael, algae eater, and dojo loach in there---can I treat the whole tank? I know the drops that I have color the water and are not for scaleless fish...Thanks for your help! Also, my oscar has had about 3 white spots on his left front (transparent) fin for a week or so----never changes---could that be ick? I thought it usually spread pretty quickly. He did scrape his side on an ornament a while back and at first I thought it was from the scrape? Thanks again if you can help Shirley

0 Not allowed!
    ich will likely have infested your entire tank by the time you notice spots on your fish. treating the entire tank is the most practical way
    if you don't have plants or invertebrates, which can be sensitive against medications. since you have loaches which are pretty much scaleless
    I would recommend starting half dose and in case no fish shows stress, slowly going up to full dose.
    just a question, what is your tank size? you have a species of fish(clown loach) that will eventually need a tank in the range of a couple of hundred gallons
    and likely several others(oscar, plecos depending on species) that will eventually need tanks at least 75 gallons in size.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ich can easily be treated by upping the temperature to around 30C. This be be stressful towards fish, however, is a more natural way to treat white-spot. Medication can sometimes be harmful to scale-less fish like dojo loaches. If you are to use the heat method slowly increase the temp over several days to reduce stress to fish
    Hope your fish recover soon

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    another tried and true method to treat ich is heat + salt. As said above increase your heat to 86F over a couple of days. Slowly add 1 tsp aquarium salt (I'd go light on the salt because of your loaches) per 5 gallons of water over a couple of days. (dissolve the salt in tank water then pour it in small increments over a day or so. Leave the tank for several days at that temp. once you see the last spot on your fish, then leave the temp at 86F for 5 - 7 more days. You can do W/C during this time just take care to maintain your 86F water temp. ONce your 5 - 7 day spot free period is passed, slowly lower the temp over 2 - 3 days. Do several small water changes to remove the salt and you should be good to go. I know this works because I just completed this treatment on my 90 gallon tank.
    Good luck!
    Oh and the reason most suggest the heat method is because it's less invasive than medications but the choice is ultimately yours
    Last edited by fishmommie; 01-28-2013 at 08:15 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quick Cure is a safe and fast way to get rid of the Ick. Just follow the directions and your back on your way.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    did you recently add new fish into the mix?

also, what size tank and filtration are you running?

ich doesn't come out of nowhere, it comes from newly added fish, or a stressed tank.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Heat and salt is more effective than just heat. Heat will speed up the life-cycle, but salt will kill the ich. Here is a pretty good article about ich, http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/ichthyophthirius
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My experience with Ich has been strange but promising. I have had an Ich outbreak in my tank twice, but it never got very far. In both instnaces, only the Black Neon Tetras had it, and there were only 5-6 spots per fish. I never lost any fish to Ich.

As mentioned above, raising the temperature of the tank only speeds up the Ich life cycle, and Ich has 4 life cycles. the white spots on the fish are one, and it is not vulnerable duing this stage. Then the white spots drop off the fish (2nd cycle) I think they are mildly vulnerable during this time. The ich then attaches itself to the substrate or an object in the tank (3rd cycle) and not vulnerable during this stage...and then the big outbreak, the 4th cycle is when the Ich spot spews forth 20-30 new parasitic ich spots which travel around the tank looking for a host. This is when its at its most vulnerable.

But Vulnerable to what? SALT!

So when you first see Ich, up the temp. I the recommending temp is 82, I have gone as far as 84. Someone above said 86, but that is pretty risky temp, espcially if you have cooler water temp fish in your tank like some plecos. This temp raise should make the full lifecycle of the Ich complete in less than a week, but results my vary. The same time that you raise the temp in your tank, you need to add the salt. I use the regualr aquarium salt they sell at the LFS, its pretty cheap stuff. API Aquarium Salt comes in at 1 Quart for about $4. It calls for 1 Tablespoon for every 5 gallons. I think thats a lot, so I did about 60% of that. For a 20 gallon tank I would do 3 Tablespoons. I found it easier to get out a large glass, scoop tank water out and pre-dissolve the salt in the glass and then pour it back in the tank.

I wait a week after all white spots have disapperared and then lower the temp back down and do a big water change.

Both times this is cured Ich and no lost fish.....hope it helps!
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012