· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default New 29 Gallon. What should i stock?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there, i just bought a 29 gallon with a 200 GPH filter. I dont need any advice on setup as i already know how to do it all, just wondering what i should stock in it. I dont really want any of the common fish, I really want something unique and cool to show. Also how much fish should be in a 29 gallon without overstocking it? Any advice welcome, Thanks all.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think you should research fish first then come back with what you like. Then we can help with stocking levels. I would look up shell dwellers they are cool
    4ft mbuna mangaino and yellows
    4ft rainbow tank
    4ft planted community
    16g nano planted shrimp and neon tetras
    10g nano reef

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    something unique, colorful and suited for a 29g might be some killifish..... just a thought.... but they can have short life spans (1-2 yrs for some...) and to get your money's worth you must breed them....
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Those are pretty cool looking. Really liking the clown killifish. Any tips on breeding a fish? Never bred a fish before.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    something that is unique is a big school of neon's.
    i'd go with 40 neons on your 29....Hobbs had something similar in her's.
    but my lfs has a 600gallon, and before filling it up with monster cichlids, they use it for massive schooling fish, so there are at least 100 neons and it i the coolest thing to see them like that.

so for you, plant the 29, 40 neons and enjoy the show

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Shouldn't you first decide how you will cycle the filter? Either fishless (best) or fish base (fish you will not keep or don't mind having some die; not a human cycle system.) Until that is done, all your fish will most likely die.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    something that is unique is a big school of neon's.
    so for you, plant the 29, 40 neons and enjoy the show
    While I agree that a large school of neons would look really nice, the OP doesn't want a common fish. I agree with Daimen that some research should be done 1st - it really depends on potential size of a fish to know how many can go into a 29gal - some fish can't be in a 29 at all.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well in terms of researching I really like the look of pleco's and chiclids. Pretty sure chiclids are too big for a 29 gallon correct?