· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    nah, they're pretty good size... no way I would have missed them while sucking all the pleco poop up. They also weren't decayed or anything when I found them.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about the set-back

It almost sounds like something might have changed in your water supply that caused them stress. Maybe ammonia in the water supply (as already suggested) or something that effected the TDS level which could have effected the pH stability.

Just a few guesses on my part tho.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Brhino! Oh man im so sorry. It almost sounds like it has to be the source water that had something added. Temp drop and raise can really affect loaches negatively but I can imagine you would put it in so cold as to shock a cold water fish... Did you check your heater for a potential electrical current? It may be weak and only affected the two fish... Agree with lady hobbs to check the A/N/N levels over the next few days in case you did forget prime... Im so sorry man!
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just another thought.

But if you just dumped the water in and the "pour" stirred up the substrate near the fish...it could have released some nasty stuff (if you haven't cleaned that area lately)

I had that happen to an apisto of mine...

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    50% water change weekly is a huge change. Is it your nitrate level (over>50) that makes you perform such huge changes? If so, then good alternative wouild be making 20% change twice a week. In case nitrates don't go that high, I suggest that you make 20% change a week.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Allesgut View Post
    50% water change weekly is a huge change. Is it your nitrate level (over>50) that makes you perform such huge changes? If so, then good alternative wouild be making 20% change twice a week. In case nitrates don't go that high, I suggest that you make 20% change a week.
    Allesgut,
    the minimum recommend amount, regardless of your nitrate level, is 50%.
    I've done 50% water changes weekly, if not 2x a week for the past year. Never lost a fish due to it.

In nature, fish have "constant" water changes, the more we mimic that, the happier they are.
    20% weekly isn't helping anything.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    Allesgut,
    the minimum recommend amount, regardless of your nitrate level, is 50%.
    I've done 50% water changes weekly, if not 2x a week for the past year. Never lost a fish due to it.

In nature, fish have "constant" water changes, the more we mimic that, the happier they are.
    20% weekly isn't helping anything.
    Recommended by who? Plenty of people do 10-40% water changes (depending on the bioload). And also, doing multiple smaller water changes throughout the week as Allesgut suggested is better because it keeps the water more consistent and will be less stressful on the fish (as you even said, in nature fish get constant water changes; they don't get a huge water change at the end of every week...).

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkman262 View Post
    Recommended by who? Plenty of people do 10-40% water changes (depending on the bioload). And also, doing multiple smaller water changes throughout the week as Allesgut suggested is better because it keeps the water more consistent and will be less stressful on the fish (as you even said, in nature fish get constant water changes; they don't get a huge water change at the end of every week...).
    recommended by any experienced fish keeper...look at any thread here and people are saying do more/bigger pwc, cleaner water helps more than most meds. i'm not debating the more than once a week pwc, i'm talking 20 vs 50 at the end of the week.

if you are stressing out your fish during a pwc, then you are doing it wrong.

there is no reason not to do at least 50percent weekly at the minimum. if you cant haul the buckets, get a water change system.

To get back on topic-the OP does 50percent and that isn't the issue. the issue has to be in the water company changing up things, or a freak accident, or who know. but 20 vs 50percent isn't going to kill a fish.

0 Not allowed!
    I think it would be safe to say there are many different approaches to getting and keeping a healthy tank. Some people have great results with 20% to 40% weekly water changes, others (like myself) have been having great success for many years with 50% and higher weekly water changes. Many discus owners also complete a lot more water changes that that. The are rules of thumb, but no hard fast rules for success.

I'm sure Brhino is changing the correct amount of water for his set-up as he is a experienced keeper who has just experienced a unfortunate set-back.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Considering Brhino has like 100 danios and 8 growing loaches, 50% is a great amnt of water to change. There are a lot of methods and lets just be blunt here in saying Brhino is one of our best on this site at keeping a healthy tank. I dont doubt his method of changing water in a tank. And in 45 min I cant see chlorine or cold shock to be an issue for fish.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's