· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default CO2 causing pH issues.

0 Not allowed!
    After installing a new pressurized CO2 set up for the first time, as expected, the pH in my new tank dropped about a full point. I know this is a function of the CO2 dissolving in the water. I have attached a picture of my 2 tank's pH test results. My question I guess is two-part:

1. Should I just live with it at this level or add some pH increaser to balance it out? (I assume it will drop back down at some point and fluctuation is probably even worse for the fish)
    2. How do I get the fish from my old tank acclimated to this change in pH without shocking them to death?

Thanks

pH woes.jpg

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    DO NOT add anything to increase the pH. pH swings caused by CO2 typically don't harm fish given that there's sufficient dissolved oxygen in the tank. Just keep an eye on the fish and make sure they don't hang out at the top gasping for air. For now, since you're using pressurized CO2, it really shouldn't be difficult to simply adjust the output so that you're not dosing as much CO2 right now. You can slowly increase it throughout the week while keeping an eye on the fish. If it has a solenoid, put it on a timer to go off an hour or two before lights-out. If not, put an airpump on a timer to turn on at lights-out. That will prevent CO2 from building up during the night. You should also get a drop checker with 4dKH solution so that you have a better idea on the actual CO2 concentration in the tank.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There is not an electronic regulator on the set up but I can make sure to manually close the regulator at night. Was looking at getting a drop checker, the store didn't have one but I see several on amazon so I will order one there, thanks for the input.

Any clue as to how I should acclimate the fish from old tank to the new one? Worried about the initial shock, I know the level is okay once they are used to it.