· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Anyone experienced with Kribs?

0 Not allowed!
    A little prelude: I've been attempting to get Bolivian rams for a while unsuccessfully. Now I'm thinking of just giving up and getting Kribensis. However, one thing that has been worrying me are mixed reports of Krib's behavior during spawning and fry raising. Many people say they get really aggressive and harm their community tank mates, while others say that they remain peaceful. Does anyone on the AC have experience with spawning Kribs in community settings? Any advice or tip is greatly appreciated.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First of all, raising kribs in a community tank is nearly impossible. If you are indeed to breed them, please provide separate tank, and your question will be resolved. Second, even though each fish has it own unique "character", just like people do, aggressive behaviour is normal and natural for any spawn protective species, please accept it.

0 Not allowed!
    I don't want to breed them, but since I would like a pair spawning will likely be inevitable.
    The question was a bit stupidly worded. you are completely right in that all cichlids will defend their young. however,
    it is indisputable that many keep dwarf cichlids in community tanks, and that some dwarfs are more aggressive than others. my question
    would be whether kribs are one of the more peaceful dwarf cichlids or not.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think that depends on the personality of the fish. I've been told that Kribs will for sure be aggressive. But how aggressive they will be is based on the individual. They can either keep a small safe zone or take over an entire tank or any range in between.

I just had a pair that spawned for me for the first time this past week. Today I noticed free swimming fry for the first time. I counted 32-35 of them. Yes, the parents of aggressive, very aggressive. But luckily for me the range of aggression is only about 6-8" diameter. I have standard 55 gallon tank. They stop giving chase after that and return to their young. Both parents are equally protective. I think the key is with their companions. They should be curious enough to attempt for come near but need to be speedy enough for the escape. This will keep the parents busy defending their area which comes natural to them, and keeps them from attacking each other. I haven't had any deaths or injuries yet.

Prior to them spawning, they were both very peaceful and colorful fish. Especially the female.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Now I got your point :) I kept rams and cribs in community tanks, and since cribs were super-productive and ready to spawn each month with all related consequences, their behaviour was more aggressive. It seems to me that 99% of crib's behaviour is subject to reproduction issues: if they are not spawning - they look for a a potentially good place for it, and this process is endless. Rams were rather indifferent with rare spawning. Therefore, compared to others, cribs might seem more aggressive, but not fatally ofcourse.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    don't get a pair?

nothing wrong with getting a single krib.
    that is my plan for my 40b set up.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If they have their own area i have found generally they are able to get the fry free swimming without too much damage to other fish. Unfortunately chances of survival of the fry are close to zero after that. I have only raised krib fry once in community and that pair was particularly careful and the tank was heavily planted. Since then have been 100% unsuccessful with several other pairs that i keep just because they are a great fish in breeding colours. If you don't have a specific buyer its often great to see them dig, lay and protect and obviously the colours are great too. Generally they will chases intruders far enough away from their cave and leave them, by a persistent father may do a bit more damage in a smaller thank
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie 
    .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    So here is the question... if you dont care about spawning in particular, why in the world are you getting a pair? You are risking increasing agression and overall health of other fish when you could have a very calm peaceful fish in its stead... I think the aquarists "want" is outweighing the rational..

Its common and I have been known to do it in the past but It can be a serious issue for you. If you decide to go forward, I would just recommend having a plan B. I had a pair of spawning Kribs in a 29gal, they did great with their group of guppy dithers. I have successfully gotten 100+ fry from them over their spawns however they are aggressive when spawning, but the tank mates stay at the top no matter what so it works out.
    Last edited by Sandz; 01-28-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    The answer of this question depends on a number of factors. Most importantly tank size and how well it is decorated /planted. The exact species of krib also make a big difference put I assume you are referring to P pulcher, the common krib. The parents will show agression but whether or not this will be a problem depends on the factors mentioned above. I have never lost a fish due to damage from kribs even though I kept a large number of pairs in a large number of different community tanks. They are a fish I allways want to keep in one of my tanks if possible.

Unlike many other posters here i think they are better kept in pairs. The colors will be more vibrant, they will show of their color more and you get to se more behaviours.
    Last edited by William; 01-28-2013 at 04:49 PM.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

0 Not allowed!
    What I am saying is I don't want to breed kribs and sell fry, but I also don't want to miss out on the
    interesting behaviors, increased colors, etc that a pair of cichlids would have over a lone one. my tank is 65 gallons with a footprint of
    3ft. by 1.5 ft, currently is moderately planted and if all goes well, will eventually be heavily planted.

thanks William! you've really convinced me. If I can't find bolivians in the next few weeks kribs it will be.