· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default Okay, What the.......

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, so apparently my tap has 0.25 ppm of ammonia. Well that's not an issue during weekly water changes as I'm only replacing 25% of the water.. However, today and every 2 or 3 weeks I vac the gravel and change 75% of the water. Now all my fish in both tanks have labored breathing and are resting on the bottom of the tank, occasionally swimming. This happened last time I did a 75% water change... I'm almost positive its the ammonia. Does anyone know any chemical or anything that will detoxify the ammonia for when I do these large water changes?? I don't want my fish to suffer every time I have to do large maintenance.

0 Not allowed!
    You can use Prime as a dechlorinator which will also help to make the ammonia less toxic to your fish

With only 0.25ppm of ammonia in the tap water, even with a 75% water change alone should not be enough of a change to produce that level of stress on your fish

Could the pH levels be different between your tank water and your tap water ?

Also, I edited the title of your thread
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    thanks, I didn't think the title would be an issue XD but no. Not at all. The pH out of my tap is no different then my tanks. My tanks are about 7.6 my tap being around 7.4 - 7.5 That little difference shouldn't cause an issue.. Could it be temperature?? I try to keep the temp as close to as its supposed to be in the tanks, but of course they always end up a little cooler or warmer then before.. Plus I'm adding the water slowly, over the course of a half hour to and hour. So the temp shouldn't bother them, correct?

0 Not allowed!
    If there is no big difference, then it should not bother them. You might want to confirm you are guaging that accurately with a thermometer to make sure the different is not any greater than +/- 3F.

I used to think I was able to tell just by sticking my hand in the water and was shocked to find out I was not as nearly as accurate as I thought I was. I always use a thermometer from now on.

If that is not it, they try using prime
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Many of us do large water changes but we do them weekly. If you don't touch the water for 3 weeks at a time and then do a 75%, perhaps it's too much. When replacing a lot of water you have to very careful you are replacing the same temps as you are removing, as well. You mentioned this happened before. I think the solution would be less of a water change but once a week.

Have you got a python water changer. I did 4 tanks tonight in half an hour so was wondering why it takes you so long to change the water? If the temp is different from what they are used to, it will stress them out.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 01-25-2013 at 11:21 PM.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    No no, Lady I do 25% water changes weekly but every 3 weeks or so I do a large water change along with vacuuming the gravel as that's seemed to help my nitrates.. Hmm I'll watch the water temps next time.. Maybe that's the issue.

0 Not allowed!
    That's for clarifying. Resting on the bottom is stressed fish. I think if it was the ammonia, they'd be at the top of the tank.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Alright... I'm just worried.. Maybe its temperature then?? I'll be sure to watch the temperature next time and make sure that its consistent. If they still freak out then I'm going to go buy some prime and see if its the ammonia.

0 Not allowed!
    Just buy a cheap glass thermometer and keep it next to your water source. Then you'll have it at the ready every time you do a w/c. It's an easy fix. =]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.