· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Discouraged

Hybrid View

1. Unhappy Discouraged

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Everyone,

I started this journey back in August of 2012, my 20 gallon long, trial by fire and a with fish cycle because I just didn't know any better yet. I got it all cycled and going along, double filters, PWC of 30% every week, keeping my nitrates around 10 and my ammonia and nitrites are 0. And still my fish die. Not all of them, but I'm just starting to grow weary of all the death. 2 out of 6 danios got that thing where they just get so skinny and then die, a couple platies just up and died and then 2 cory cats.

I've been filling my tank up really close to the top because so much evaporates in the dry winter air, could there be a lack of oxygen in the water because the filters aren't agitating the water as much? Should we get a bubble curtain?

I just don't know what to do any more.

My current fish:
    4 zebra danios
    1 male and 1 female platy
    1 panda cory
    1 juvie bushy nose pleco

Any words of encouragement? Am I just to faint of heart to be doing this fish keeping thing?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    how do you acclimate new fish?
    what size is your tank?.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 20 Gallon Long. These fish weren't new but I typically drip acclimate them.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    did they die all at once or over the period from august until now?

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the loss of your fish. I am a new aquarist also. Do you have a glass top on your tank? I am in the Chicago area, also with dry, cold winters and my 75 gal has no evaporation at all. I have the glass versa tops made for my Aqueon tank. Without them, I would be afraid of my fish jumping out and I'm sure evaporation would be a problem.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 01-25-2013 at 09:07 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They died not all at once, but one here and there over the course of a couple months.

I have a black plastic top with the hinge that opens up and the plastic partitions cut out of the back for the filters/heater etc. Still, at least a gallon of water evaporates between a weekly water change.

Maybe I'm not being rational, maybe fish die more frequently and I just have to chock it up to nature taking it's course. I had the 2 corys since September -ish because I wanted to be sure the tank was done cycling. I just feel like other people's fish live a longer time than mine? Growing up my mom had a 25 cent feeder fish that she kept, he lived for 11 years. My cories can't live past 4 months?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Were the deaths from fish that were in there from the beginning?

Ammonia and Nitrite spikes even short term can shorten the life of fish. Especially in the case of fish cycling since you can only do so much to help control the parameters.

If they came after it was cycled, it could have simply been a sick fish to begin with and would have died in a week or two no matter who took care of it. It happens.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    and also when cycling with fish you have to very carefully add new fish. because the cycle you have done is only enough bb for the amount of fish you cycled with. so each new addition the bb has to catch up. so adding too many fish at once can result in deaths over the first couple of weeks