· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    I don't have any experience with the nano skimmers. Never used one in a tank smaller than a 55. Takes up too much room if you don't have a sump to put it in, just my opinion though.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

0 Not allowed!
    I've tried a few HOB skimmers, and the sea clone skimmer was the worst one that I tried. I have used a AquaC Ramora on a 20 gallon tank and it did a great job on that set-up. A Aqua C nano would also likely work great on your set-up. That will leave you the HOB filter for chemical and mechanical filtration should you choose to use that.

I would certainly recommend getting rid of those fake decorations and adding live (or a combo of live and dry) rock to your tank. Mounting the corals higher up / close to the lights will help you over-come the lower levels of lighting that you have. Having a good amount of good quality rock will also help to maintain stable water parameters

You should also consider a power head or two to get some good flow through the tank as well.

IMO, the use of rock, a good quality skimmer, a good amount of flow, and keeping up on the maintenance (als already mentioned) are a few important areas to plan ahead.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    I've tried a few HOB skimmers, and the sea clone skimmer was the worst one that I tried. I have used a AquaC Ramora on a 20 gallon tank and it did a great job on that set-up. A Aqua C nano would also likely work great on your set-up. That will leave you the HOB filter for chemical and mechanical filtration should you choose to use that.

I would certainly recommend getting rid of those fake decorations and adding live (or a combo of live and dry) rock to your tank. Mounting the corals higher up / close to the lights will help you over-come the lower levels of lighting that you have. Having a good amount of good quality rock will also help to maintain stable water parameters

You should also consider a power head or two to get some good flow through the tank as well.

IMO, the use of rock, a good quality skimmer, a good amount of flow, and keeping up on the maintenance (als already mentioned) are a few important areas to plan ahead.
    Thanks for the help! Would I be better off replacing the lights with different bulbs or higher wattage bulbs?

I plan on adding one more powerhead to it if I get it since it already has one. How strong of a powerhead should I get?

With the 40 gallon salt tank I take care of at work, daily maintenance involves testing all the levels and adding RO if needed. The tank also gets two drops of iodine a day.

Then once a week we do the chemicals, twice a week purple up, and once a week water change, and twice a week we do CoralLiquid.

Would the maintenance be similar with the nano? I want to make sure I do everything right. I've been researching a lot :)
    3 Gallon Planted Betta Tank
    4 gallon planted Aqueon Evolve Dwarf Puffer Tank

0 Not allowed!
    I do not believe your light fixture could handle larger wattage bulbs, but that is mostly a assumption on my part. It might be more cost effective to try to make them work first. If your only getting softies, placing them on the rocks closer to the top will should work just fine. About 1/2 way to the top of the tank should work OK

As for dosing, I would let your test results determine when / if you should dose. Softie are not all that demanding as compare to some other corals. Your coralline algae will most likely use more elements out of the water than most softies. I would suggest keeping a close eye on your dKH, Cal, and Mag levels, dosing only those specific supplements when the levels drop. A good weekly water changes schedule of around 15% should replace the other trace elements your softies might need. At least that approach has always worked well for me
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I do not believe your light fixture could handle larger wattage bulbs, but that is mostly a assumption on my part. It might be more cost effective to try to make them work first. If your only getting softies, placing them on the rocks closer to the top will should work just fine. About 1/2 way to the top of the tank should work OK

As for dosing, I would let your test results determine when / if you should dose. Softie are not all that demanding as compare to some other corals. Your coralline algae will most likely use more elements out of the water than most softies. I would suggest keeping a close eye on your dKH, Cal, and Mag levels, dosing only those specific supplements when the levels drop. A good weekly water changes schedule of around 15% should replace the other trace elements your softies might need. At least that approach has always worked well for me
    That makes sense. I'll do that :)

Oh and what would be the best way to go about transporting the tank, specifically the live sand? Should I bother transporting the water or make my own saltwater?

0 Not allowed!
    I would use mostly new water with some of the old

What does the current owner have for biological filtration right now ? Just the HOB filter ?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would use mostly new water with some of the old

What does the current owner have for biological filtration right now ? Just the HOB filter ?

Yeah, from the sounds of it that and live sand is all they have.

0 Not allowed!
    Ouch

When you move a live sand bed you can release a lot of nasty stuff into the water that can get trapped in there if the sand bed is not properly maintained. If that is the only filtration, I would be very concerned about a mini spike after you move the tank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12