· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Stocking questions

0 Not allowed!
    While I wait for my 36g to cycle I'm starting to brainstorm live stock ideas. Fish that will be coming over from my 10g:

3x Colored Skirt Tetra
    3x Rummynose tetra
    1xGBR (male)
    1x glowlight tetra

I know the amounts are messed up but when I lost power for over a week during hurricane sandy I lost a lot of tetras, and did not want to add because I knew I was getting a new tank soon.

The way I see it I pretty much have to have add tetras first if I want them to survive well in the new tank. That being said I really don't just want to buy more of the same fish, so I am kind of at a loss. Some other ideas I have (if possible) combination of:

Angels (maybe 3)
    Otto's (it's on it's way to being heavily planted)
    Red Cherry Shrimp (will they just be food?)
    More Rams

I learned the hard way about space requirements about rams with a previous post so I am guessing that's a pipe dream, but I really would like to get some angels. Otto's are most likely a must with the amount of plants I have to help control algae. I know absolutely nothing about shrimp but think they are cool and would like to learn more. I will get a school of about 10-12 rummynoses, but what do i do with 1 glowlight tetra? I feel bad for him, but how many schools can I really support in 36g? The 3 colored skirts have seemed plenty happy with themselves in the 10g but maybe that's because they are basically the biggest fish in there. Any advice?

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I would only put one angel in a 36g especially since you need to bring the schooling fish numbers back up. An angelfish is going to want a lot of room. Depending on the foot print of the tank, you might get away with 1 more gbr instead of the angel, but be prepared to rehome since the original gbr is established and may not want to share.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Just from my experience with RCS, if you have a ton of hiding places and a bunch of them they may be able to breed fast enough not to be wiped out, otherwise most fish will see them as snacks. My dwarf gourami will peck at them if he sees them, so i'm guess an angel or gbr definitely will enjoy eating any RCS it sees

I won't get into the disagreement of # of angels again, I think everyone has there own experiences. One thing you could do is add a two or 3 female GBR (be prepared to remove all but 1 after they pair). But rearranging the tank should prevent territory problems

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I guess I should have prioritized, I definitely do not want to deal with re-housing anything so I'm not going to add any more rams if they are typically happy alone. Angels are definitely the priority at this point, maybe discuss if thats even possible. I just wanted to get 2 more larger type of fish because all I have ever kept until now are tetras and bettas. I can add 1 angel to start as I get the schooling numbers up and see how it goes. Other sites had said typically 10g per angel which is where I came up with the 3 number, but maybe that assumes there is nothing else in the tank.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest adding the angel last. Get the numbers up in the schools first, let them get established, then get the angels. This way it is not his tank as you are adding more fish. Their are different opinions on minimum tank size for most fish. My experience with angels is I wouldn't put more than one in anything less than a 55g, and if you don't do it right, you are risking it even then.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

0 Not allowed!
    I think it depends on the style tank too. I think a taller tank can handle an angle better than a standard tank that is the same volume

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85
    I think it depends on the style tank too. I think a taller tank can handle an angle better than a standard tank that is the same volume

I also read this elsewhere, the tank is a bow front so roughly 21'' tall, which I thought would help. I will take mommy1's advice and get the tetra numbers up first. Did I also mention it's going to be heavily planted with driftwood? plenty of hiding spots too.

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to mommy, Only one angel in that sized tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85
    I disagree.

IMO/E [Provided it's tall enough & yours easily is] A larger footprint is better as it provides more territory.

Specifically, [Hopefully] More territory than the angel wants to claim.

This allows the other stock in the tank the ability to get out of the angels way if need be. They are still cichlids and can be quite territorial.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    My angels always seemed to appreciate both the height and length of a tank. Angels can take up a lot of territory. A heavily planted tank is one of the key elements needed to successfully house more than one angel in one tank, but I still feel a 36g is not quite big enough for two. That is my opinion, take it as you wish. I used to say a 29g is minimum for one angel, and had one in that size tank for a few years. But after moving it to a 65g and seeing the difference in its behavior and attitude I will never put one in a 29 again. He swims about much more in the 65 and is much less aggressive towards tank mates. You could try two, but be prepared for it to not work out. If you do decided to try two angels, add them last, buy the smallest (youngest) you can find, and add them at the same time.