· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Handling Nitrite Spikes

0 Not allowed!
    I may have asked this before but let me write out his situation im in and what i should do. On sunday i was swapping out my filter floss to add some more in both filters and i did everything ass backwards and feel i have a spike because the way and how long i exposed the media un submerged for a some time also i feel even though i only feed twice a day the quantity may be too much as i tend to over feed to help let the little and shy guys get their share. Most likely those are the reasons i have a spike but i wanted to know how i should go about this. Right now i have a smidget of ammonia thats going away and is nearly 0 now and my nitrite is .25-.5ppm ish more .25ppm. What i decided to do is fast my fish for two days since ive been feeding them non stop and havent had a off day feeding them yet and hoping the reduced waste production has the nitrite back down by the weekend. Is this the right thing to do? i feel a water change with my water reading .5-1ppm will just escalate the problem. Im not too sure so thats why im asking so thanks in advance . By the way the fish dont seem to notice the spike that occurring and i see noone gasping for are or acting weird.
    110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    You need to do small frequent water changes and feed less. I know you have ammonia in your tap water, but you still need to keep the nitrites down for the health of your fish. That is why I suggest small and frequent water changes, that way you aren't dumping a large amount of ammonia in the tank. Eventually the bio-filter will catch up and you can start with larger water changes again. Don't forget the Prime, it will detoxify the ammonia long enough for the bio-filter to convert it.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Perfect post by mommy. Also, I would only clean one filter at a time.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Was going to take that great advice from mommy today but i just tested the water and after a full day of not feeding my readings are normal 0 Ammonia and 0 Nitrite. My scheduled water change is on Sunday so is it ok to wait ? Nitrate ais around 40ppm. Since i have strong cichlids is it ok to attack something like this the same way in the future if i come across this problem again? But yea next time im going to have everything ready when i change my filter floss. This time i drained my Fx5 and didnt have the replacements cut soi tried to do that at the same time and yea.

0 Not allowed!
    You'll need to do a relatively large water change to get rid of those nitrates. 40 is borderline on harmful... heck, 20 is arguably borderline. I would err on the side of caution and do the water change sooner than later.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I agree, you need to do a water change now. Because of the number of fish you have you might need to do two water changes weekly to keep the nitrates lower.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i thought 40 was acceptable for cichlids and 60 was harmful ? But yea im going to do a large water change to lower them and now i will split the water changes to twice a week.

0 Not allowed!
    Where'd you get that idea?

High nitrates, like trites or ammonia would be toxic for any species of fish. < 40ppm is acceptable, but borderline. =< 20ppm is ideal.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.