· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not using this system anymore, but yes I went from using 25mm to 32mm overflows. The whole point of the system was to have one running at full syphon and reducing the noise and the other taking as little as possible. During power failure test, water would rise and siphon tube would start to run, then second pipe would begin taking a lot of water but until the siphon purged all the air it wasn't taking its share of the flow. After the initial 20 secs the water level drops to the same level as the second overflow and is almost a trickle through it. That being said 9/10 times the siphon started fast enough to prevent any issues
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Red face

0 Not allowed!
    Drilling each tank would be a lot of work; I'd just set up a simple siphon system for all tanks and each connected together with a single main value. That way, all could be drained at once (I built a single one for my main discus tank and it worked perfectly but was useles since vacuuming was the primary manner for me to drain the tank in order to remove waste.) Yet I learned that siphons pipe are very, very simple and I even used that system to feed clean water back into the tanks (a few extra parts - value, pipes and water mixer to set temp one time only.) If you are interested, I'll make a drawing - just used simple supplies form my local hardware store - again - a very, simple system - my siphon was designed to be primed through a removable cap if it ever lost water - occured a few times when I vacuum the tank lowered the water below its intake ... .

Also, consider an algae scrubber (in tank) instead of a sponge filter; vastly superior and will not harm fry and will reduce water changes as well as improve water quality. Unless doing near 100% w/c a day (best of all methods) this is the closest you can come to a natural system. I'd never give up my scrubber - removes not just ammonia (but will not compete with a sponge if you want to run one of those, too) but nitrates, phosphates and a host of organic substances that we can't even measure.)
    Last edited by Cermet; 01-28-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the award - Brookfish Thanks for the rep :-) - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas! - The Red Severum merry christmas - mommy1 Seasons greetings have a great christmas - Celtic Fins 
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat Happy Holidays! - King Tut Merry Christmas! - rich311k Wishing You A Very Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year. - Celtic Fins 
    Happy New Year to the forum 'funny' guy. AKA...MR. NYLONS. - gabbyguppy Congratulations on your rep star - Celtic Fins Another round for my friends - mommy1 Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1 After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 
    Hope you are well man - robflanker Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy Birthday - mommy1 Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster 

0 Not allowed!
    That would be great Cermet. The more ideas I have the better. (My wife does not agree with that though... lol)

Thans again for all the advise all!
    Angel breeder wanna-be

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm at JHU right now so can't make the drawing (yes, the one that just got 1/3 billion dollars from Bloomberge! Wow, some people really have money and are really generous .)
    Drilling glass always is iffy and cracks can develop so avoiding that whole issue might be worth it.

Awards Showcase

Talking

0 Not allowed!
    Here is the drawing. The water fill/temp mixer does not need to be included. If it is, the cap fill port is not needed (the mixer will fill the siphon tube.) All parts are std 1/2 inch plastic as are the valves from Home Depot or any hardware store.

Not uploading the drawing - will have to figure this out ... .
    Last edited by Cermet; 01-28-2013 at 10:14 PM.