· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the award - Brookfish Thanks for the rep :-) - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas! - The Red Severum merry christmas - mommy1 Seasons greetings have a great christmas - Celtic Fins 
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat Happy Holidays! - King Tut Merry Christmas! - rich311k Wishing You A Very Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year. - Celtic Fins 
    Happy New Year to the forum 'funny' guy. AKA...MR. NYLONS. - gabbyguppy Congratulations on your rep star - Celtic Fins Another round for my friends - mommy1 Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1 After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 
    Hope you are well man - robflanker Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy Birthday - mommy1 Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster 

Default central water system thoughts/questions

0 Not allowed!
    In the next few weeks I hope to get started on my fishroom for breeding angels and I'm trying to get my good ideas and bad ideas sorted out. Lol

My thought right now is to have a rack per pair of angels and each rack will have the 29g for the pair, 2-3 20g or 29g, and 2 55g for grow out. I started thinking about water changes and heating and thought it would be great to heat all the tanks at once and to only have to pull water from one tank instead of six come water change time. Especially where the plan is 3-4 of these racks.

My main goal is water changes. Anything after that is second. Not even woried about filtering. I plan on running sponges in the tanks anyway.
    Is there a way to set something like this up so all the tanks wil get a water change at the same time? I've looked at a lot of the auto water change systems online and they are all still independant changes so not quite what i want. If I'm ging to have to do them seperate might as well just keep using my python. I have a hard time with standig for long periods so the faster i can do larger water changes the better. Being able to just deal with one of the tanks would be ideal for me. A cane or walker and a python is a complete pain in the...... rolling chair is awesomness! Lol

Now to make things difficult... none of my tanks are drilled and I really dont care to drll them at this point if I dont abolutely have to.
    So thats the challenge... a multi tank central syphon like water system. With no driling.

I know central water systems have their cons. Each rack will be on its own system. So if something goes wrong on the one pair and related fry will be effected. The pro for me is that the water will be exaxtly the same from hatch to grow out. No shocking fry when going from tank to tank.

So.... does this go into the good or bad idea column? (Or the you're out of your bloody mind... lol)
    Thoughts, ideas, comments all welcome
    Thaks all!
    Angel breeder wanna-be

0 Not allowed!
    You could certainly do a centeral sump set-up as you are talking about with syphon based drains. I've always want to build a set-up like that for myself one day. You would need about a 150 + gallon sized sump to take out about 100 to 120 gallons of water for a sizeable enough water change for all the tanks that you are planning. Might be cheaper to build a plywood tank to use for the sump.

The cost would be up there as a pump required to move that much water would need to be over 3,000 GPH once you factor in head-loss and all the elbows and valves you would likely use.

I would certainly NOT say you are crazy for thinking about this. The extra water volumn would help keep things stable. Just make sure the cost of it all it worth it for you.
    Last edited by Cliff; 01-24-2013 at 07:01 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the award - Brookfish Thanks for the rep :-) - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas! - The Red Severum merry christmas - mommy1 Seasons greetings have a great christmas - Celtic Fins 
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat Happy Holidays! - King Tut Merry Christmas! - rich311k Wishing You A Very Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year. - Celtic Fins 
    Happy New Year to the forum 'funny' guy. AKA...MR. NYLONS. - gabbyguppy Congratulations on your rep star - Celtic Fins Another round for my friends - mommy1 Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1 After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 
    Hope you are well man - robflanker Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy Birthday - mommy1 Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster 

0 Not allowed!
    Well thats a big sump.... thats probably going to be a tick out of my budget.

So cant just be simple and use the lowest 55g on the rack huh? The sump is a must?

So does the sump need to be that big for the overflow or is that for filtering?
    Still wrapping my head around sumps... lol

Thanks Cliff
    Angel breeder wanna-be

0 Not allowed!
    You can use the 55 gallon for a sump. You can certainly make that work without a problem at all.

I understood one of your goals was to be able to do a quick and easy weekly waterchange out of the sump. If that is a improtant feature for you, then a large sump would be required to hold enough water to be able to complete a larger weekly water change for the whole set-up. The you are only changing water in the sump for the whole set-up.

If you only want to use your sump for filteration and to heat the water, that 55 gallon would certainly work for that. But you would have to do waterchanges in at least a few of the tanks on the system. That might take more time and effort.

It all depends on how you want the set-up to work for you. You have all kinds of options here
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Ya the water change for the rack is the primary goal. So it would work but the larger the tank the better it would be? So the idea has some potential but could use some tweeks... should be fun to mess with.
    thanks for the input
    Angel breeder wanna-be

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Any good links on how the plumbing on that would work?

I get the basics if the tanks were drilled (i think) but with syphons not so sure. Would it work like the over flow type water change systems I've been reading about? The pvc looped ones?
    Angel breeder wanna-be

0 Not allowed!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    . I used to have centrals on my marine fish in my store. I had a pair of large UV sterilizers that I would change the bulbs on every other month at $35 per bulb. They were not 100% effective. You can use Ozone and design a system using an ozonizer, this too has some things that need to be addressed. Cost maintenance waste gas and introduction of O3 into the tanks are some of them. You also need a redox meter to gauge your levels of oxygen in the water.
    Drilling the tanks is the best way to do this. Cost wise you need a glass drill bit, a bit guide and some bulk head fittings. Depending upon what your water quality is and the type of sterilants used a simple storage or automated timed over flow system can be very effective. In this system you use a timed dose of water that is allowed to overflow out of the tanks into waste waters. You use irrigation equipment for this system. The timer, the solenoids etc. You can set up a timer to change water in a mind boggling array of ways. Every other day once a week, 30 times per day. Depending upon the quality of the timer. Carbon filters may be used on the water if the water is low in sterilants.

I personally prefer individual tanks. I have a dedicated furnace for my room, an on demand water heater and a couple of small pumps. I can change 2,000 gallons at 50% , 1,000 gallons in around 2.5 hours. I do this three times per week.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just for your piece of mind if you setup those loop PVC overflows you were talking about properly they do work, i built some not too long ago and found they worked a treat. The only thing I had to watch was on startup 9/10 times they worked perfectly but 1/10 times the siphon didn't take the flow fast enough and a small amount of water overflowed before the siphon was 100% complete big issue if you have carpet, other then that they are great. Even reduced noise on them by adding gate valves and reducing air through the tubes
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by waack View Post
    1/10 times the siphon didn't take the flow fast enough and a small amount of water overflowed before the siphon was 100% complete big issue if you have carpet, other then that they are great. Even reduced noise on them by adding gate valves and reducing air through the tubes
    Have you tried a larger diameter pipe for your drain lines ? That sounds like what could be causing your 1/10 failure