· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Post Cheap canister filters, are they any good?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys!

Has anyone ever seen/used or heard of these canister filters (don't even know the brand ) Price: $54.95-$105.95 (Depending on model)

Here is the link to them

http://search.oo.com.au/search#w=canister%20filter

These filters are also being sold on Ebay.

Another filter I see a lot on Ebay is a Protege Aqua canister filter ($99 AUD)

I have also found a Youtube video on the Protege aqua

I know it isn't going to compete with something like an Eheim or Fluval but it could be a decent upgrade for one of those trickle filters that sit ontop of the aquarium (like most aqua ones etc.)

So has anyone used or know someone that has used a product similar to this?

~Daniel

(edit: fixed broken link)
    Aqua one AR-850 40 gallon

Fish

10 neon tetra
    5 black neon tetra
    5 Guppies
    (still stocking it)

Plants

Java moss (Anubis and java fern on driftwood next :) )

0 Not allowed!
    Never heard of that brand. Do check out the SunSun/AquaTop/Perfect canister filter...they are all the same thing just sold under various names. It is a proven good "cheap" canister...and believe it or not it does compare in performance to the Marineland and Fluval canisters
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller
    Do check out the SunSun/AquaTop/Perfect canister filter...they are all the same thing just sold under various names. It is a proven good "cheap" canister...

I got a aqua Top (with a built in UV bulb) and it is now my main canister and my 'higher end' (read more costly) are now backups. These are very inexpensive (not cheap) but really do a good job for the price. Parts are readily available, too.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel7310
    Hey guys!
    Has anyone ever seen/used or heard of these canister filters (don't even know the brand ) Price: $54.95-$105.95 (Depending on model)
    If parts, specifically ceramic impeller shafts are available, it's probably a try. In the US most of the knock off brands do not have parts available.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    save your self time hassle and headaches and go on amazon.com and look at canisters there. I saw today that you can get a fluval 405 for 120 bucks and that will filter alot of water for a decent price and be a high end name. always remember no matter what people say you get what you pay for in the end, and how can you go wrong with afluval for those prices cause smaller fluvals are cheaper then that or even penn plax cascade canisters are reasonably priced but i personally only have experience with fluval 106, 205 & api filstar xpL canisters and know both of those brands are good and have also heard good things about eheim ( one rated for 60 gallons is 74.99 at petsmart right now in stores and online) and have read decent reviews on the penn plax.If your needs surpass 60 gallons then you can either use that with a HOB or I'd go with the Fluval on amazon.com I garanty you won't regret the fluval especiallyat those prices cause a fluval 205 will cost you 120 bucks on a good day at the pet store and for that you get a 405 ( or 406 I cant remember) on amazon.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel7310 View Post
    Hey guys!

Here is the link to them

http://search.oo.com.au/search#w=canister%20filter

These filters are also being sold on Ebay.)
    Looks like a Chinese clone of a previous generation fluval.

Problem with these are:

poor quality control
    energy hungry motors
    availability of spares
    noise level

if you can get spares and you don't mind something that uses a few more watts it's worth a try.

Personally... I'd save a few more $ and start looking for a good deal on an eheim.

0 Not allowed!
    My reply to this:
    Cheap canister filters, are they any good?
    Is summed up succinctly by this:
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Problem with these are:

poor quality control
    energy hungry motors
    availability of spares
    noise level

if you can get spares and you don't mind something that uses a few more watts it's worth a try.

Personally... I'd save a few more $ and start looking for a good deal on an eheim.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    In my experience, you get what you pay for. Expensive filters are expensive for a reason. High quality parts.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    i had one very similar to that. be prepared to replace it with in a few months. it was nice while it lastest. mine was silent till it just hit a wall and then it sounded like a 747 taking off. if i was you i would invest a few extra bucks and pick up a rena xp....
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumachine09 View Post
    In my experience, you get what you pay for. Expensive filters are expensive for a reason. High quality parts.
    Generally true with the exception of the ADA superjet series. There's such a thing as overdoing it.
    http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=218