· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default feeding frozen foods

0 Not allowed!
    What is the best preparation method to feed frozen foods? I know its important to vary a fishes diet, and I have been, but mostly with freeze dried foods. So I bought a pack of freeze dried brine shrimp. I cut a cube in half and just dropped it in my tank. After which, I thought maybe its not safe for fish to eat food that cold. Is this method ok? How do you all feed frozen foods?

0 Not allowed!
    I usually put the frozen food in a cup with a little bit of tank water and dump it in when it is thawed. It only takes a few minutes.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

I will do the same thing, but I will also add a liquid vitamin additive which is said to soak into the frozen food making it a little healthier for the fish
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    I do the same as kingfisher, apart from I try to drain the thawed liquid, so I'm only adding the actual bloodworm/daphnia/brineshrimp. No point just dumping bloodworm juice into the tank, won't help anything
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alrighty, that's what ill do from now on. I hope I didn't harm the fish at all by just feeding it cold food. What would you all say is the best frozen food? Brine shrimp seem to be mentioned quite a bit which is why I got them. Are bloodworms more nutritional?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Everything I've read makes it seems that brine shrimp are better then blood worms.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I dont know if one is more healthy than another, but I continue to feed a variety.

My fish usually get two frozen food meals a week, 1 of blood worms and 1 of spirulina brine shrimp. I get a cup of tank water and set a half a cube in the cup and swirl it around until it is fully thawed and then slowly pour into tank. Outside of that I feed twice a day of fish flakes (mixed between carotenoids, krill, and spirulina). Also once a week I put some cucumber or zucchini in there for them to nibble on. I find that freezing the veggies and then thawing in hot water softens it up for them fairly well.

Also, for smaller fish like tetras, some of the brine shrimp can be too large for their mouths. I find getting a knife and shaving 1-2mm layers off the brine shrimp frozen cube creates smaller chunks of shrimp meat for the tetras to feast on.
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I feed frozen blood worms or frozen brine shrimp once a week as well. I just stick a cube in a small paper dixie cup and put it in the microwave for 20 seconds. Then I add a little tank water and it's almost an instant thaw.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    I feed bloodworms, brine shrimp and daphnia mixed up over the course of the week. I melt a cube in a cup of tank water then strain the liquid off using a fine fish net over the sink then into the tank it goes.

Awards Showcase

After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish 
    Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa Merry Christmas - KingFisher 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 
    Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Happy Birthday. - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 for straining the liquid. I use alot of cubes and the liquid can get nasty looking.
    Thar she blows!!!