· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Default Albino leopard gecko

0 Not allowed!
    Alright so a friend of mine is basically dumping some leopard geckos on me. I don't think learning to care for them will be an issue. But, I am certain that the geckos have been kept at fairly low temperatures (around 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit) for an extended period of time. I assume they will probably have health issues and I just wanted to ask the community if they knew of any common signs of illness to look out for. Any tips are helpful. I have never had lizards before, only snakes.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

0 Not allowed!
    There are three important things to look for with Leopard geckos.

1) Is it eating/active?

2) Is the tail well fleshed out?

3) Does the stool appear normal? (not runny)
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    From what I can tell and what she's told me, they are not well "fleshed out" (meaning their tails are fat, right?). But they are moving around well with normal stool. What about their diet?
    Last edited by Northerly; 01-22-2013 at 06:42 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Correction; they are blizzard geckos. Basically a recessive color morph from what I've read. I was told by my lfs(knowledgeable guy, I trust him) to get one of these lights:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I chose the 10.0 UVB rating because they are desert lizards, was this a proper decision?

I am debating on whether to give them an infrared heat lamp or an actual heat pad. Would prefer to use just the infrared lamp if possible to avoid spending a ton of money on this.
    I will be feeding live crickets coated in calcium powder.

Would still like to hear from experienced keepers to get some tips and tricks and to know if I'm on the right track.

EDIT: I read they needed a dry hide and a damp hide, any tips? Still reading about the geckos but would love to hear from someone on here about their experience.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly
    Correction; they are blizzard geckos. Basically a recessive color morph from what I've read. I was told by my lfs(knowledgeable guy, I trust him) to get one of these lights:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I chose the 10.0 UVB rating because they are desert lizards, was this a proper decision?

I am debating on whether to give them an infrared heat lamp or an actual heat pad. Would prefer to use just the infrared lamp if possible to avoid spending a ton of money on this.
    I will be feeding live crickets coated in calcium powder.

Would still like to hear from experienced keepers to get some tips and tricks and to know if I'm on the right track.

EDIT: I read they needed a dry hide and a damp hide, any tips? Still reading about the geckos but would love to hear from someone on here about their experience.
    The LFS was just trying to sell you something you didn't need. No need for UVB lighting as these geckos are nocturnal.

Go with a heat pad instead of the light. These are terrestrial geckos and they utilize belly heat more then the overhead heat.

You need three hides. One for cool side, one for the warm side, and a humid hide with sphagnum moss in it for shedding.

As far as illness to look out for, keep an eye out for Metabolic Bone Disease. It's hard to say more then that until you have them.

As far as the diet, crickets are fine. Some keepers feed mealworms, some crickets, some a variety(such as myself), and a lot of keepers feed Dubia roaches now as well.

They're a great species, good beginner lizard. Post some pics when you get em!
    3 Gallon Planted Betta Tank
    4 gallon planted Aqueon Evolve Dwarf Puffer Tank

Talking

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds very cool but................

Well, not worthless at all really , but I just want to see a pic of an Albino Gecko. lol