· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipperhead
    +1 to the others, we need to know exact dimensions.

A photo of the filter and tank would be a massive help too.
    +1
    Scotti took the [repeated] words right out of my mouth.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Give this a try

http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/347/

Should help out a bit if I am understanding your problem right

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A. - Any number of things can be used to break up the waterflow from the return. This can be as simple as a tall decoration, like a rock, in the path to break up the flow into smaller currents. It can also be as simple as putting a little water back into the tank each day to keep the flow outlet equal to the water level. This naturally spreads the current across the top.

If the outflow is designed to be above the water level and there is just too much freefall, your best bet is in the pet turtle and frog section. They have a selection of hard and soft plastic or ceramic lillypads and whatnot to allow the animals to climb out of the water to "warm up". Several of them mount on the bottom but can be adjusted to the water level. If the tank is tall, some others float but mount to the side glass with suction cups. Just a heads up; this is a pain to clean and clean around.

EDIT - Hardy's suggestion above is really excellent.

B. - Just what is it with you people and specifications? He said it is a 15 to 20 gallon tank. Meaning, it's still pretty small, but bigger than 10. It has sand at the bottom. When the water level dips, the sand is disturbed. If you had asked how far the water is freefalling, or the depth of the tank water, those would be perfectly acceptable questions... to a point. That point was IF he had asked "Why is the sand being disturbed?" The only question the man asked was what he could do to prevent that. You harp for what... 8 posts on needing the exact size of the tank. Were you going to build a damn model in your basement and scientifically check it? Were you going to search the internet for the exact lillypad that would fit?

Seriously, I want to know why you couldn't just answer the question.
    Last edited by moghedan; 01-29-2013 at 04:29 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    moghendan: I would guess the others are wanting to know the size of the tank and the GHP flow coming from the filter. The more information the better the help will be. Everyone is trying to help the OP here. I would suggest being a little more open to some of the questions / input being asked from people with many years of experience here. They have likely come across a similar situation with one of there tanks in the past which is why they would like more details to make sure their recommendations can be applied to this situation. Post like the above will only start drama on the forum and will not help the OP in the least
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Moghedan, actually there is only 4 posts, out of the previous 12, requesting tank size, and the 4th post also has some useful information about the fish. Posts #5-7 were advice on diffusers which would solve the problem, but may or may not be the right solution, and Hardys post is the same as post #5, but from a different source. Then your very useful post. The reason we want specifics is to understand exactly the full picture of this situation. Depending on the exact tank size in relation to the filter, the issue might be solved with keeping the tank filled to the brim, a diffuser, a spray-bar, a smaller filter. To know the proper advice to give, we have to know the exact tank size and filter and without knowing that information it's just a shot in the dark guess. Another way to put it is, some of us have a whole lot of experience giving advice on this forum and know what we need to know in order to give the right advice, and if that information isn't there we ask.
    Icefreeze, I'm glad you knew better than to get one neon, they are schooling fish and need larger groups. Another way to slow down the flow is to put a sponge pre-filter on the intake of the filter.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I(shrimpbegood, Mollybegood's dad at work lol) had to much water flow causing my white cloud minnows to stay at one end of the aquarium. I cut a milk jug(gallon size) in half, and laid it on top of my aquaclear 70 filter. I trimmed the side that hangs in the water to just below the output ledge of the filter. Works very well.