· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default To much water flow?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys. I just set up another (small) tank in my apartment. Everything is all good in the tank but I think the water could be to strong.

Its a filter suited for [probably] a 40 gallon tank and the tank is only 15 or 20 gallons.

When the water level is a little low (like blow the trim) it literally pushed the sand around. Also it seems to push the little corries I have in the tank around.

The only other a fish in the tank is a Bolivian Ram, who isn't really going "high" in the tank. The tank isn't that big but its like he is laying down on the floor, he either hides (normal) or swims around with the corries. He is acting fine, I just feel like the water flow is to high and he can't swim to the top. He waits for the flakes to come to him.
    RIP Shark Bait, my Red Tail Shark :(

0 Not allowed!
    Measure your tank so we know the actual volume, and please post the filter brand/model.

These kinds of specifics are really helpful if you want people to have the ability to offer options within the framework of the equipment you have.

If not .. It's really easy to say - Get a bigger tank or a [Probably] less volatile filter [But, I think if you were simply going to do that you wouldn't have asked. Know what I mean?].
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well the filter was a gift and used from somewhere else where I 1st got it. Its an Aquaeon I think (spell check). Not sure on the brand of glass, I'm thinking its a 15G tank though.

I guess the real question is, how can I slow the flow rate on a filter that doesn't have a dial.

0 Not allowed!
    The brand of glass/tank is irrelevant. What are the measurements: length, width, height? If you plug the 3 numbers in the calculator in the right hand margin it will give you tank size in gallons and liters. here:
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/conv...calculator.php

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here's another thread that might help if you decide your current current is too much. lol.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...=flow+diverter
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Depending on the style of filter, there are various ways to stifle or baffle the flow - I have a filter rated for 50 gallons in my grandaughters 6 gallon betta tank, I've trimmed a cork to fit the outlet (allowing some flow through there) and taken off the aeration suction hose, which is now an outlet because of the restriction in the main outlet. The nipple the hose was on is now pointed at the underside of the ledge the cover rests on and provides the necessary surface agitation. Not real scientific, and took a fair bit of mucking around with the cork to get it right, but it works well, and Bluey the Betta is as happy as a pig in poo.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Don't forget that a filter rated for 40g, once stuffed with filter media and has BB on it is really only rated for a 20g tank, so in that case there should be no problems.

Adding a spraybar to the filter outlet well help as well if you are worried.
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the others, we need to know exact dimensions.

A photo of the filter and tank would be a massive help too.

On a different note, bolivians generally don't come to the top, they usually just chill out in the bottom 1/3rd of the tank
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay thanks everyone, I will take some pics today when I get some time after class. Its a strange fit. And yeah I checked its a 15G tank (Top Fin) (theres a sticker that was on the other side lol)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishFish
    +1 to the others, we need to know exact dimensions.

A photo of the filter and tank would be a massive help too.

On a different note, bolivians generally don't come to the top, they usually just chill out in the bottom 1/3rd of the tank
    Okay well that makes a lot of sense, I was expecting him to be a mid level swimmer. My cousin wanted to pick up a single neon just to see if he could swim at the top, but then again thats a little fish that won't do well with the flow IMO