· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Exclamation new heater issues?

0 Not allowed!
    So I recently purchased a new heater for my 10 gallon. My old heater was running high and had a bad habit of turning on and off every 2 or 3 seconds. So to avoid any possibly bad situations, I quickly rushed to the store and bought a fairly cheap PETCO brand 50-watt heater. Anyway, so after 24 hours of running, I went to examine it to make sure it was holding the temperature steady. While looking, I saw a stream of tiny bubbles cooming near the suction cup. I moved the heater thinking that it was just trapped air. Now, 30 minutes later, more bubbles in the same place. I can also see what I can only explain as vapor waves emmiting around the heater. Like, when I look at the tank towards the window, it looks like waves of vapor flowing around. Anyway, my question is, are these vapor waves normal? Where are these bubbles coming from? Is this heater cracked possibly? I would like help ASAP before my fish gets injured. Thanks in advance!

0 Not allowed!
    The waves you're seeing rising from the heater are convection waves. That's normal and tells me that the heater is working. Heat rises and the heat causes convection waves.

Take a close look to see if water is seeping into the heater. That could be the source of the bubbles. But, after placing anything new into the tank, it's common for micro bubbles of oxygen to rise to the surface. That should stop after a day or so.

If you can visibly see water inside the new heater, unplug it first, then remove it from the tank water and replace.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Gotcha. I figured the waves were probably the heat but I wasn't sure. The heater has a design on it so I can't see into it. I just unplugged it so ill give it 15 minutes and pull it out to see if there is water inside it.

0 Not allowed!
    If there is water inside the heater, it's not safe to use and I would return it to the place of purchase for one that doesn't leak.

But check the current heater first to make sure there's no water in it.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So I took it out and gave it a little jiggle and there was noise. However, to my ears, it sounded like metal or some piece of equipment moving rather than the sloshing sound that water makes. I placed the heater back in the tank and it was fine. But when I plugeed it in, it turned on and bubbles started going again. It only happens when its running apparently. I hope its alright. Its maintaing its temp very accurately so far.