· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: neon tetra

Exclamation neon tetra

0 Not allowed!
    i was at the lfs today and saw some neon tetra that were very small.
    i liked them so i got 6
    i got them for this tank
    20 gallon:
    2 platy
    1 guppy
    3 oto
    and a honey gourmai.

i added them to the tank and the honey gourmai is chasing them.
    how can i stop this for now.
    all the lfs in my area are closed now
    i dont have another tank that i could put them in.
    what can i do

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not an expert by a longshot on this forum, but the Neons are one of the tiniest species of Tetra. I'm thinking that your gourami is figuring on them being food for him to snack on.

You may be finding them eaten soon, or they may stress themselves to death from the gourami chasing them.

Anyone else want to chime in to confirm if my theory is correct, or to advise something i'm missing?

20 gallon tall - 3 paskai's neon red rainbow, 5 paskai's blue eyed rainbowfish, 8 harlequin rasbora, 2 blue ninja shrimp, 6 cherry shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 1 bronze cory, 1 peppered cory, 1 julii cory, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis, 1 bunch water wysteria, 1 package of B. Caroliniana, 1 Crypto Luten, 1 red wendii, Mossball.
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

0 Not allowed!
    catch the honey gourami, keep him in the net for a few hours or ideally in a separate tank altogether. this is a natural response to what the gourami feels as an intrusion to its territory. removing the gourami for a while will let the tetras establish themselves and the gourami to not feel so territorial.
    even a fully grown honey gourami's mouth is tiny, and they aren't very competent predators so I doubt the predator theory.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, when you put bite size neon's in a tank with a gourami, this will be the end result. Neons should be with a bunch of other tiny fish. I'd take the gourami back tomorrow and keep the neons. Even if the neons do not get eaten, they will stay in hiding forever from that gourami.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 01-21-2013 at 12:45 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    ok thank you

0 Not allowed!
    If you can't remove the gourami, then at least turn the lights off and make sure the tank is dark

That would give your neons the best chance they have to make it until you can rehome either the gourami or the neons tomorrow.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    If you can't remove the gourami, then at least turn the lights off and make sure the tank is dark

That would give your neons the best chance they have to make it until you can rehome either the gourami or the neons tomorrow.
    will do cliff

0 Not allowed!
    I really would give your honey gourami a chance. I am not sure what every one else imagines under honey gourami, but seriously, its a 1.5 inch long fish with a proportionally miniscule mouth(and I have one, thats how I know). they are one of the most peaceful gouramis you can have. take the gourami out of the tank for a while, let the neons settle and see from then. in my personal experience that should be more than enough to get the honey gourami to coexist with the neons. I highly doubt that its predatory in nature from my experience with honey gouramis. my honey gourami ignores newborn guppy fry swimming inches from his face. they just aren't born predators.

0 Not allowed!
    is it ok to leave the gourmai in a partly cycled 1.5 with an ammonia reading of 1 for an hour?
    if not how long?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    and remember these neon are the smallest i've seen
    like 1 cm