· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Benefit of a weir question????

0 Not allowed!
    Im getting a tank made and asked to get it drilled with appropriate holes for my tank etc etc, in plan to simply have 2 holes with coverings over the holes/ bulkheads and run that to the sump. After some research i have found that many people have weirs before the overflow instead of flowing straight into the hole. What is the benefit of this, is it just surface skimming/reduced noise that is the issue or am i missing something crucial
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

0 Not allowed!
    There are three benefits IMO:

1) if you are getting the bottom pain of glass drilled (allowing you to set-up the tank flush to a wall) having a weir (or internal overflow as they are called in North America) will allow you to hide the plumbing the will be installed inside your tank. It will give your tank a better look for sure.

2) Should your return pump stop working, weirs can help limit the amount of water that will be drained back into the sump helping to make your set-up more "spill proof" should you have a power outage or something like that.

3) You can also use them to help prevent little critters and fish from getting sucked up into the drain lines without restricting the flow of water.

Just as a side note, weirs tycpially do not effect the amount of noise, The type of drain line you have and how you set-up it up will tho
    Last edited by Cliff; 01-22-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the reply

so if I'm not too worried about it sitting flush to the wall having the tank drilled in the back pane, is totally acceptable? If the bulkhead leaks the tank won't drain because the leak will be high on the tank, any issues with return failure will mean water stops draining early again due to the location of the hole. If the 2 holes are in differnt locations and covered with a mesh cone of sorts this would prevent any issues with blockage and their is no unsightly plumping inside the tank.

Everywhere I am reading seems to be for saltwater tanks, admittedly most sumps are for saltwater. So the loss of the surface skimming in a freshwater tank does not seem as important. Also the only fish in the tank will be discus and cories so im pretty sure critters wont be an issue.

On your side note do you have any reccomendations on noise reduction based on the setup i describe, 2 simple bulkheads drilled high on the back of the tank.
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @

0 Not allowed!
    Surface skimming would be more important in a FW set than a SW, at least in my opinion. In a SW set you will have several power heads moving the water around within the tank to make sure all the water in the tank is moved throught the sump. You would need to do something very similar or you may only end up moving the water from the top of your tank through your sump. Your can also put a two part (or split) nossle on the return line bulkhead with one part pointing down to help move water throughout the whole tank

I would suggest a modified duriso stand pipe on the drain line to help limit noise and keep things safer if you loose power. The below pic shows what I am suggesting. The blue line is to show were the tank glass would be. You would also want a large enough screen to make sure it could not all become blocked when you are not at home.

The below links can also apply to your project and may be helpful

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...umbing-basics/

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...e-sump-basics/
    Last edited by Cliff; 01-23-2013 at 11:00 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have been looking at that setup alot lately, and also the beananimal overflow, i don't know if anyone knows much about them but i have a question it seems most people are comfortable running with 2 duriso overflows, but when it comes to the beananimal people say you definitely need 3. A siphon, a gravity duriso and an emergency, but it seems to me that seeing as the siphon can carry more water than a duriso why does the bean animal required that emergency overflow. Is it simply because it is 100% failsafe system or is the beananimal more risky when a siphon is involved.

journal @