· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Oto with white spots and eroded tail

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys. Would you mind helping me figure out what to do with one of my otos? He is clearly not doing well.

First, tank and maint info:
    Tank size: 55g
    Occupants: 4 boseman rainbows, 8 black skirt tetras, 2 guppies, 4 otos (down from seven as of Sept. 2012)
    Temp: 78F steady
    Params: 0,0, approx 20
    WCs: >50% every 5 days
    Light: High
    Planted: Yes, moderately
    Otos have cucumber to eat most of the time. They love to eat cuke, but do not eat much algae. 3 of 4 otos look OK, all other tankmates OK.

Second, symptoms: I have noticed that his tail has been rough looking for a couple of weeks, watched it carefully. He's skinny but still eating. Today I see him with many white spots on his lower body and his tail is eroded to almost nothing.

So, what could this be, and what should I do? I have very little experience with illnesses (except gill flukes and wow that's bad). Is it ich? I have read that I should up the temp of the tank to 83F or so. Should I do that in quarantine? I was wondering if quarantine would be a good idea since it would stress him out so much. The last oto I quarantined was very stressed by the experience.

Thanks for your help. I'm sorry if I sound stupid, I probably am stupid about this sort of thing. I've been lucky for the most part, and so I have no clue how to treat this.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I have had time to do a bit of research...looks like Ich, but I can't be sure. I'm doing the (somewhat odd) action of quarantining all four otos, raising the temp. gradually, and salting the water at about 2.5TBS per 5 gallons of water.

I guess my rationale for putting them all in there is that it'll not be as stressful to all of them as it would be if I only put sick guy in there. Also, they all hang out together, so I figure they all need to be treated, and the treatment won't hurt anybody (or at least I hope).

There has been a lot of drama around these otos...they seem to mysteriously become ill and die on me without rhyme or reason, all beyond that one-month window you give them because they are so fragile upon introduction. For as much trouble as they have given me, poor things, and the amount of algae they DON'T eat, I guess I don't have much to lose. They are such cute fish though...I feel guilty about my ambiguity about them.
    Beth
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure as I see this as ick. Depends on if those spots are fungus or parasitic. Sounds more like a bacterial problem to me. Ick does not erode the fins away. Hope he improves for you. Have you added anything new to his tank lately?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your reply LH. I have not added any new fish to the tank since October...that problem with the gill flukes was so bad that I just can't bring myself to get any new fish, even though my schools are badly numbered.

Oh wait...two new trapdoor snails, just in mid-December.

However, there have been several new plant additions, some from tanks with fish (not mine).

And just to clarify, the fin erosion has been present for a week or so. The spots, they are new. They are quite numerous, and bunch together. Seem to have just popped up overnight, weird. The fish is also looking somewhat thin, although he eats. His fellows are quite fat, so I don't think he looks overly bad, but in comparison he looks thin. For sure ragged though.

Could they be picking on each other? Could my rather mean skirt tetras be fighting with him? I've not seen it, but it could be possible...fighting over that darned cucumber. I swear, my fish eat everything.
    Beth

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    2nd hobbs

generally fin issues like you describe is symptomatic of fin rot.

could you post pics?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK. Here are the pics. Hopefully they are good enough to discern what's going on. And yeah, he's "kissing" one of the other otos...figured this would be good for a healthy vs. not healthy comparison.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bethyMT; 01-21-2013 at 04:19 PM.
    Beth

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Obviously those pictures didn't do it. Anyway, the fish passed away this morning...I wonder if the stress from the QT didn't hasten his demise.

I will continue to treat the others, but will be turning the temp down, with maracyn2, since the fin erosion was the first and most apparent sign. I'll do the whole five day Tx, clean the big tank up, and then reintroduce them.

I found one of my trapdoor snails dead in the tank...they have just sort of been laying around doing nothing in there, I guess this one died and I didn't notice. It'll be so nice when the weather gets better and I can finally order nerites. They've been doing a great job in one of my smaller tanks.
    Beth

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry you lost the otto. I have not been successful in keeping them alive myself.

I worry about the amount of salt you put in the hospital tank with the ottos. Seems like quite a bit. Also, did you just dissolve it and dump it in or add the salt slowly over several hours to let the fish acclimate to it? The latter would have been the way to go.

Additionally, I don't think you want to use medication and salt and heat together. It might be wise to do some small partial w/c's over several hours/days to get the water free of everything, then start to medicate if you feel the other ottos need it.

Good luck!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted:severum, EBJD, congos, royal pleco
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    Sorry you lost the otto. I have not been successful in keeping them alive myself.

I worry about the amount of salt you put in the hospital tank with the ottos. Seems like quite a bit. Also, did you just dissolve it and dump it in or add the salt slowly over several hours to let the fish acclimate to it? The latter would have been the way to go.

Additionally, I don't think you want to use medication and salt and heat together. It might be wise to do some small partial w/c's over several hours/days to get the water free of everything, then start to medicate if you feel the other ottos need it.

Good luck!
    Wouldn't it be best to do the water changes and then wait for a day or so to add possible meds? If stressing the fish is a concern this would minimize it right?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Limming
    Wouldn't it be best to do the water changes and then wait for a day or so to add possible meds? If stressing the fish is a concern this would minimize it right?
    Absolutely - which I should have added in my comment.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted:severum, EBJD, congos, royal pleco
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492