· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    See? Now wait until you hit zero ammo again and then redose ammo. Keep doing it until you hit 0 ammo and 0 nitrites. Then, dose one more time, if you hit zero for both again you are cycled. Your nitrates should be off the chart. Do a large water change to get your nitrates below 20ppm. If you won't be adding fish right away dose ammo to keep your BB fed. Just make sure that when you do get your stock, to make sure your nitrates are below 20ppm.

Question

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishn00b
    Although I am not really great at reading these kits, I attached image of results.
    http://needcaption.com/upload/images...st_Results.jpg
    Are all three of these results pictured at the 5 minute interval like the directions state?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Are all three of these results pictured at the 5 minute interval like the directions state?
    Yes, roughly. I mean I don't use a timer...but it's pretty close. Does it make a huge difference? I didn't take the picture immediately, nor did i wait like 10-15 minutes or anything.

0 Not allowed!
    I would like to add that since you now have a reading for nitrItes, you should not add up to 3ppm of ammonia again when the ammonia falls to 0 - you should rather add up to 1-2ppm ammonia - once you have the nitrites, you add half of what you started with.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Lightbulb

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishn00b
    Yes, roughly. I mean I don't use a timer...but it's pretty close. Does it make a huge difference? I didn't take the picture immediately, nor did i wait like 10-15 minutes or anything.
    It only makes a difference IF you want accurate results.

The test kit doesn't come with 'suggestions', It comes with instructions of how to go through the process in order for it to get you an accurate reading of the information you are looking for.

Not following the instructions is one sure way to not get accurate results. Make sense? I'd wager that they state 5 minutes for a reason. It's not like the chemical reaction quits happening at the 5 minute mark.

I guess it was at least a minute and a half out of sync [That's a 25% difference right there btw] because if you were following the instructions on the NitrAte card since it takes at least that long additionally just to take that test [Due to all the shaking.]

You can see how this all adds up to 'less than accurate' results, It is something to consider.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 01-22-2013 at 02:37 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    It only makes a difference IF you want accurate results.

The test kit doesn't come with 'suggestions', It comes with instructions of how to go through the process in order for it to get you an accurate reading of the information you are looking for.

Not following the instructions is one sure way to not get accurate results. Make sense? I'd wager that they state 5 minutes for a reason. It's not like the chemical reaction quits happening at the 5 minute mark.

I guess it was at least a minute and a half out of sync [That's a 25% difference right there btw] because if you were following the instructions on the NitrAte card since it takes at least that long additionally just to take that test [Due to all the shaking.]

You can see how this all adds up to 'less than accurate' results, It is something to consider.
    Alright point taken. I just re-did the tests, roughly 24 hours later following the instructions to the best of my ability, using a stop watch etc.

Ammonia - < 0.25 (not exactly zero though)
    Nitrite - between 2 and 5ppm (darker than 2 not as dark as 5)
    Nitrate - ~10ppm

Noticeable drop off in ammonia, and nitrates. Slight rise in Nitrites. The ammonia/nitrite levels seem consistent with a cycle in progress. The nitrates however....my test results must have been grossly inaccurate yesterday (so thanks 850R) because there is no way I think the plants could consume that much nitrates over night, and I haven't changed any water.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Couple days have gone by, Nitrites are now off the chart it looks like. Ammonia zero and nitrates about the same.

Do I wait until Nitrites show sign of dropping before dosing ammo again? Concerned for plants with nitrites that high.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    After spiking off the chart last week, nitrites dropped a little Saturday, then plummeted to zero Sunday. I was reading 0/0/10. So I re-dosed with ammonia up to about 1ppm Sunday morning. I just tested (roughly 36 hours later) and got a reading of .25/0/10. I think I am on the right track but I expected to see some nitrites today, I also expected ammonia to read zero not .25 with a 36 hour window for BB to work, I am 2 full weeks into the cycle now.

The tank also has a pest snail problem which I plan on solving with an assassin or two when it's cycled.