· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Skipped Nitrites?

0 Not allowed!
    I am about 1 week into a fishless cycle, but have used some BB from filter on established tank to help speed things up. I dosed with ammonia to 3ppm about 5 days ago. I then proceeded to plant the tank, add rocks driftwood etc. SO yesterday I tested ammonia and it was about 0.5, no nitrites and no nitrates.

Today I am reading zero ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5ppm nitrates.

My question is where do I go from here, redose with ammonia? Why didn't I ever see the nitrites?

0 Not allowed!
    Are you using a filter from an established tank on the current tank or are you using biomedia from an established tank in your current filter. What size tank are you talking about btw.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffs99dime
    Are you using a filter from an established tank on the current tank or are you using biomedia from an established tank in your current filter. What size tank are you talking about btw.
    I took the removable pieces from my old filter (aqueon quite flow has these blue things in there that supposedly have BB grow on them) and put them in the new tank (36g) the old tank is only 10g and still stocked so I can't transfer the whole filter over, unless I bring the livestock too.

0 Not allowed!
    Dose ammonia back up to 3ppm . Test again in 24 hours. Post your readings again. What filter is on the new tank also? Did you place the old BB parts in your new filter? Or did you place them in the tank?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffs99dime
    Dose ammonia back up to 3ppm . Test again in 24 hours. Post your readings again. What filter is on the new tank also? Did you place the old BB parts in your new filter? Or did you place them in the tank?
    I shook them off in the tank near new filters intake, I could try to get them inside of it too. Thought rinsing them off in there would help transfer some, all sorts of icky slime came off. New filter is a bigger version of aqueon quiet flow. the 55g one.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I couldn't figure out how to edit previous post but I just dosed it back up to 3ppm and will post levels in 24 hours.