· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default New Filter Question

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 55 gallon tank that is cycled.

I have a Penguin 350 power HOB filter rated for 75 gallons.

I used to have a Fluval U3 submersible filter rated for 40 gallons, but that died this past week.

I have elected to replace that filter with an HOB aquaclear 70.

If the tank is estabilshed and cycled, do I do anything special to the new filter to get BB growing? Or is it god to go just put it in, turn in on, and the tank will take care of the rest?
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavis1979

I have a Penguin 350 power HOB filter rated for 75 gallons.

I used to have a Fluval U3 submersible filter rated for 40 gallons, but that died this past week.

I have elected to replace that filter with an HOB aquaclear 70.

If the tank is estabilshed and cycled, do I do anything special to the new filter to get BB growing? Or is it god to go just put it in, turn in on, and the tank will take care of the rest?
    I'm not familiar with the U3, but if you can, pull the media from that and stuff it into the AC with the media that came with it. Or maybe even add half to the Penguin and half to the AC. Then you are losing virtually no bio. That said though, if you didn't, I think you'd be OK just adding the AC, as long as you're not grossly overstocked. Bacteria, once established, tend to recolonize pretty quick. The AC would probably be seeded in a couple of weeks or less.
    11 tanks, 5.5g up to 125g(2). Mbuna, Haps, Peacocks, Tangs, wild caught to tank raised!

0 Not allowed!
    I would definitely seed the new filters with pre-colonized media from the old filters if possible. This just helps avoid a longer cycle when the new filters are cycling. You will have another cycle if you change filters and media altogether.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavis1979

I have a Penguin 350 power HOB filter rated for 75 gallons. To clarify: It is your running filter that is cycled filter not actually your tank.

The seeding methods mentioned can be beneficial however the following has to be considered:

How long has the U3 not been running and where has the biomedia been from it this entire time?

This is a relevant question because if it dried out all your BB will have died and also if it has just been sitting in the tank [But not running which means no flow over the BB to bring food] it will have lost a large % of the colony as well due to the lack of food.

This will obviously limit it's effectiveness as a source of seed material though every little bit helps.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would say the U3 had been 4-5 days not running, however it was still submersed in the water.

It does have the Fluval Biomax Filter Media inside of it. When I took it out of the tank, I took 15-20 of the individual cylinders, and put them in a fish net down in the tank. When I got the new aquaclear I added them into the net that came with the filter along with the fresh new media provided.

I hope it helps, but time will tell.
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don,t open a new topic so i post my concern here.I just bough a second filter for my 10 gal cycling tank I was hoping to increas the bio media but all I got was a few little round white things which they say is bio media.Is it ok to place the bio media from the old filter inside the new one , top of theese white things?Do I have to run both filters bc the lid don,t fit anymore on top.
    Last edited by Mikadog; 06-24-2013 at 07:26 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you want more feedback I'll suggest opening a new post otherwise people are going to see the dates for most of these threads and ignore the rest. This post is OLD.

For what it's worth, you can place the media from the other filter into new one. If you can't fit all of it I would suggest keeping both filters running and buy additional bio media for the new filter. Place what you can of the old bio media in with the new bio media on new filter and over a period of a few months you can take out a little of the remaining bio media from older filter and discard if you want. If you don't need the lid to fit correctly, I'll stick with two filters running. That's just my $.02. Check you water parameters on a regular bases until you have seeded the new bio media (approx 1.5-2 months).
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I need the lid is a childproof thing ,kids like to put toys into the tank to keep company for fish .It will take a while untill they learn .I put the old media in the new filter i hope is ok.
    Thanks you for reply, I ll find more recent topic to post in .