· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You made the right call. In memory of the one who didn't make it. - Strider199   To help you find your puffers - KingFisher   ...a replacement puffer for you. (Couldn't find a dinosaur!) - ~firefly~   chocolate makes everything better.  GL beating the ich - fishmommie   It's filled with good vibes, good luck - Cliff   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MandyK   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MandyK   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - MandyK   

Default Weighing my options

0 Not allowed!
    Sooooo as some of you know I've recently aquired a 125g that I plan on using for Discus.

I was looking through algae scrubbers when it hit me... shouldn't I just do a sump?? I have a free 10g that I could use for this.

Would that be doable? Would that size accomadate my tank? Would it be cheaper? Would it do the job of a canister filter?? And would it decrease the amount of equipment that I would have in the display?

I also have a 55g that I could use for this, I'm just very scared about the weight issue. I've already got 1000 pounds or so in my living room. Do I want to add to that??

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to the holidays! - Slaphppy7   Happy holidays! - rebecca_finny   Merry Christmas (Santa Loves Pie) ;-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good to see you here again... - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I would use the 55 gal and do a simple sump if you have the free tanks. I think you will be fine weight wise. I know that is what i was debating for my discus tank. I ended up going with constant water changes and sponge filter.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

> - korith   Someone who treats clowns with respect deserves one. - talldutchie   Good luck with your FF teams this season! - Slaphppy7   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA   

0 Not allowed!
    If you went with the 55 you would have plenty of room for your heaters in there, then they wouldnt need to be in the tank. You would need additional equipment to do it (overflow box, piping, return pump). I dont know if it would really be cheaper than getting a canister. Also I dont know if it would fit in yout stand (I mean I think it would fit, but it might be hard to get it in there depending on how big the doors are).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You made the right call. In memory of the one who didn't make it. - Strider199   To help you find your puffers - KingFisher   ...a replacement puffer for you. (Couldn't find a dinosaur!) - ~firefly~   chocolate makes everything better.  GL beating the ich - fishmommie   It's filled with good vibes, good luck - Cliff   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MandyK   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MandyK   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - MandyK   

0 Not allowed!
    Well, if it wouldn't be cheaper I'd rather just get a canister. Does anyone have any experience with siphon powered algae scrubbers?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Chocolate always makes a body better.  Glad you're on the ment - fishmommie   Here's to a quick recovery my friend. - mommy1   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Based on my experience and research, algae scrubbers work best when you have very high flow rates and very bright/ high levels of lighting. Using a siphon based drain to supply a algae scrubber would most likely give you lower flow and potentially limit the effectiveness of the algae growth. The below link explains it a little better than I can

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...cs-The-Summary

In tank up-low scrubbers can also be a option, but from what I have read, they are not as effective as compared to the traditional algae scrubber designs.

Edit:

Ops, almost for got to mention, the below links can help you with planning & building a sump should you choose to. If you have a larger tank, you could build a sump with a return pump big enough to also supply a very large algae scrubber all for around the same price as two big canister filters. The benefit of the sump IMO is the opportunity to have even more biological filter media and the option to build a scrubber if that is what you choose.

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...umbing-basics/

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...e-sump-basics/

Either way, you will still have a great set-up. It all comes down to which approach you would like better
    Last edited by Cliff; 02-05-2013 at 09:09 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    For Discus, I would just keep it simple, and use sponge filters with an air pump along with the large daily water changes.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Large, daily water changes are out. Not only do I know I will not stick to a schedule like that, but I simply can't afford it. . . Maybe I should do angels fish... Lol.