· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Question What are my Harly's doing?

0 Not allowed!
    I have seven Harlequin rasboras in my 30 gallon tank with 5 black neons and a clown pleco. 5 rasboras are pretty small, and 2 are large because I have had them for a longer period of time. Recently, it has seemed to me that 2 of these smaller rasboras had paired off. Evidence: One is a male and one a female (I think), and they spend a lot of time next to each other. I really don't know much about their breeding behavior, so I don't know if harlequins even do pair off like apistos and angelfish. I also recently propagated my big anubias and moved parts to various parts of the tank. The small rasbora "pair" spend a lot of time around one of these rhizomes, and today I caught on camera some strange behavior. The female and male would both turn upside down and shimmy on the underside of the anubias leaves. Then they would go back to swimming normally around the plant. It seems to me that they are too small and young to be spawning, but could it be? Thoughts are appreciated.
    Parameters and circumstances: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, less than 20 ppm of nitrate. Ph 7.7-7.8. I took a sample of water to Petsmart once to test for hardness, and they said the water was slightly hard, according to a test strip. I test ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate myself with an API liquid test kit. water changes every weekend, moderately planted with wisteria, anubias, small cryptocorynes.

Video!
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

0 Not allowed!
    Yes that is how they spawn, the female deposits the eggs under the leave and the male fertilizes them. Good video catch of this.
    Last edited by steeler58; 01-19-2013 at 08:46 PM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

0 Not allowed!
    She may "practice" numerous times before he joins her, as well.

4. Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    She may "practice" numerous times before he joins her, as well.
    This is how it seems to be for now, as there have yet to be any eggs. How long until real eggs begin to show up? Will they eat their own eggs? is it possible to breed these guys? what would I have to do?
    Thanks for the quick responses!
    Journals Here

0 Not allowed!
    If they do spawn they and the rest of the fish will eat the eggs.

If you want to breed them, the key is very soft acidic water.

Here's our very own web page for keeping and breeding them: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...41248874,d.cGE
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

6. Unhappy

0 Not allowed!
    Oh. I'm not quite sure I have the resources and time available to me to put forth all my effort into keeping the fry alive. Sorry rasboras! Nothing personal! That link really helped. Thanks!
    Journals Here