· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Kribensis eggs!

Hybrid View

1. Default Kribensis eggs!

0 Not allowed!
    I was lucky enough yesterday to be home at the exact moment my Kribs decided to start their mating ritual for the first time! 20 minutes later the female started going nuts in a small cave area in the large piece of drift wood I have in my tank.

Took a pic of the eggs and now waiting anxiously for them to hatch so I can watch their parenting skills in action for the first time.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats! They'll probably eat all the eggs (or fry if they wait a while) the first couple times though. Also, when they do get used to being parents and start watching over them instead of eating them, be careful when doing maintenance in the tank. When I had breeding kribs and I stuck my arm in the tank to trim and move plants, they would always nip at my fingers and it felt like I was sticking my finger in a computer fan lol.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkman262
    Congrats! They'll probably eat all the eggs (or fry if they wait a while) the first couple times though. Also, when they do get used to being parents and start watching over them instead of eating them, be careful when doing maintenance in the tank. When I had breeding kribs and I stuck my arm in the tank to trim and move plants, they would always nip at my fingers and it felt like I was sticking my finger in a computer fan lol.
    Looks like you were right. First batch of eggs were laid on Friday evening. By Monday they were all gone and the kribs pretty much abandoned that cave area and moved to a different spot to hang out. I assume sometime Monday they ate the eggs.

Their coloring is still fantastic so I'm hoping they do better next time.

Sandz, I'll look for a better shot of the female to post up. She does indeed have great color. I couldn't believe how purple her belly got when she was ready to breed.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Found 2 decent shots right before they laid their eggs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Very nice! I love colored up Kribs. My mated pair are doing great on their 6th spawn.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So I was wrong in thinking the eggs were eaten a little less than a week ago. Today I spotted 32-35 free swimming fry. I can only assume the parents moved them to a different cave and I never noticed.

After watching the tank all day I am truly amazed at their parenting skills. Watching the parents move the heard of fry around the tank safely while they graze on whatever is edible is an amazing site to see for the first time.

I added a pic of mom, dad, and fry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    That female has great color. Good luck!
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like a may have some issues. Still see lots of fry with momma. But daddy krib is in the other side of the tank with the rest of fish. Part of his tail and bit chewed off. Looks like momma krib started fighting him off like the rest of the fish.

Debating on whether I should move him to a different tank for a week or two to recover from injuries or leave him be.

I also noticed momma taking the fry a little too close to the filter intake. I think a few may have been sucked up :(.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'd vote for moving the dad, if you have a good place to put him. I've had moms kill dads.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good call mchambers. I waited on it an extra day to see if the situation in improved. It did not. His tail looked worse today than yesterday.

I pulled him out and put him in a 10G hospital tank for the time being. I'll give him a week or two of isolation and hope his tail fin starts to grow back.

She was relentless against him from what I observed today. She would leave her fry and go searching the tank for him and then proceed to chase him all over the place for a little bit, then eventually returning to her fry. Then repeat a few minutes later.