· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's exactly what I had. Not good for much of anything, I'm afraid. Time to start shopping.

I say it like it's a bad thing, but good lights are just so wonderful when you have a tank full of healthy plants. It's just (as least it was for me) kinda ridiculous when you're trying to find a good light for your needs.

I thought T5s got too hot for my liking, so I went with LEDs. Nobody else seems to think T5s are too hot though, I guess I'm crazy. That's not a surprise.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, it looks like I need an upgrade. Ironically, I just remembered today what I have had in my closet for 7 years and have been trying to sell on Craigslist every once in a while. Don't ask how - but I somehow acquired two 36" hoods with 3 bulb set ups. They were on a really big saltwater tank that someone I know had. So I removed the two lame bulb fixtures I currently have and just set one of the 36" 3 lamp fixtures on top of the tank. It obviously doesn't fit, but all three bulbs are shining through the plastic into the water.

The bulbs are Aqua Ray - F30WT8 - AR-FS 30W each. So there is 90W right now for my 55g. Much better than the 30W total I had earlier. I figure this is a good interim solution until I find the right upgrade. At least my plants will get adequate light and hopefully grow a little more and become greener.

So once I get the upgrade, anyone wanna buy 2 36" three bulb light fixtures? ;-)

55g African Cichlid tank -
    29g Community tank -

Talking Like any respectable fish nerd ... You have a closet full of stuff ;-P

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by phatchuck
    So once I get the upgrade, anyone wanna buy 2 36" three bulb light fixtures? ;-)
    A guy with Mcgyver lighting on his 6' Oscar tank says... maybe [Although I am edging towards some ebay deals with free shipping for T5s] :-P.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 01-20-2013 at 03:42 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I went to the LFS and bought an upgrade. A 48" Solarmax H.O. High Output double T5 Lighting System. It has one T5 54W 10,000K Daylight lamp and one T5 Actinic-03 Lamp, and 8 Moonlight LED's.

So, from I can tell - for my freshwater purposes the Actinic bulb is essentially useless. (as well as the Moonlight LED's) Bit the price was right and I know I can replace the Actinic.

Any suggestions on what type of bulb to use to replace the Actinic? Or is the 10,000K 54W bulb adequate for a planted tank?

29g Community tank -

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest replacing them both with two 6700K bulbs.

Looks like that fixture was intended for a marine set-up. The Actinic bulb will do no good for your plants (as you have already stated), but might help more algae grow. The 10,000K bulb can also be risky as it is getting into the bluer color tones which can also promote algae growth.

I have always got the best results from 6700K bubls
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i tried out the 10k bulb on my set up and honestly i didnt really get anything more out of it.

but i will say cliff is right that you risk getting algae, the 10kbulb is along the back wall. and that is where most of my algae growth is.

could be a coincidence, could be other factors. but might as well get your two 65/67k temp bulbs and sell the other 2. you'll break even that way

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    + 1 to that being set up for SW.

6700K is ideal [It's spectrum is roughly equivalent to daylight at sea-level] although mixing a 10000K & 6700 isn't the end of the world.

This has 54w each of 10000K and 6700K over it :-D, I can't complain:

Just saying
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    + 1 to that being set up for SW.

6700K is ideal [It's spectrum is roughly equivalent to daylight at sea-level] although mixing a 10000K & 6700 isn't the end of the world.

This has 54w each of 10000K and 6700K over it :-D, I can't complain:
    http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/...omps/TOTM8.jpg

Just saying
    Thanks 850R - Based on that pic I think I'll keep the 10,000K and grab a 6,700K. I can only hope my tank will look that green! If I see the algae pick up I can always downgrade the 10,000K or get an algae eating fish.

Thanks again for the input from all of you guys. Much appreciated.

29g Community tank -

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    To play devils advocate, I had a good deal of success with 10000K bulbs over freshwater. But I also had an oversized pleco... so...

0 Not allowed!
    A 10,000k lamp is well within "daylight" for most plants. It will be whiter light than ~6500k. My personal favorite K rating lamp was the old GE 9325s. Nice white that didn't wash out the color of the fish.
    Your opinion of the way your fish and plants look is more important that the ratings of the lamps.

What you may run into, if your nutrients are out of balance, is algae, no matter what lamps you use as two 54 watt lamps is a LOT of light on a 55g tank. If you find that is the case, a layer or two of fiber glass window screening will cut the light getting into the tank.