· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Just a thought

Default Just a thought

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so I am really bored at work right now and have been looking a plywood tanks...

I can't afford doing anything like this until I get a larger house (with a basement), but I think I know what I'd wanna do.

Probably do a 7'l x3'w x2'd tank, with 3 viewing sides, do a foam/concrete background, planted

My question would be some good recommendations on stocking, knowing that I love smaller fish. Was just messing around on Aqadvisor and the #'s are nuts! So far I had just joking tossed these in

50 Cardinal Tetras (love the bright red)
    15 Sterbai Cory
    10 Oto
    20 Hatchets
    25 Harlequin Raspboras
    14 Bolivian Rams

And I am still only at a 45% stocking level according to it. Now I know that its not the most accurate, and I am just playing with the thought and budget of something like this, but are there some schooling fish that are bright in color but 2-3" max size? I would still want the smaller guys, but wouldn't want them being snacks

Oh, for filtration I would probably do a sump with 2 dyi trickle filters like Brihno is doing
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    With a 315 gallon tank, I would think you could increase those schooling numbers

Have you considered larger cichilds instead of a lot of smaller community fish ?

What type of filtration are you thinking about
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    well this is all one of those, I'd like to have a plan to budget to etc. But for filtration I have seen having the steralite drawers filled with filter floss, then bio media as a trickle filter and heard they are good. I would have in probably be a 3-4 outlet overflow, with 1 pump below to get it from the sump back into the tank.

I think I would like apistos, problem with the larger cichlids is that they seem so common to have a tank that size for them. I don't think I have ever seen a huge tank with large schools... is there a reason? I think if I saw the right cichlid I may consider it.
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85
    I think I would like apistos, problem with the larger cichlids is that they seem so common to have a tank that size for them. I don't think I have ever seen a huge tank with large schools... is there a reason?
    Yes, You haven't looked hard enough.

Have you considered that appistos prefer water in the low 80s and planted tanks and the impact on your power bill for heating & lighting 21sq ft of 2' deep tank is not going to be insignificant. Something to consider.

I am not sure that a plywood build will allow you three sizable viewing sides.
    You have tons of options if you do go for it though.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 01-18-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    MY GOD. that is crazy. I was just looking and I think I like the aulonocara cichlids, there colors are amazing. I don't know if I'd want to build an entire tank around them though
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    The "show" males are really the ones with color, is that just the one dominate male in a tank? Or when they all get full grown do they develop the bright colors?

And 850R, I have seen the 3 sided build, Just needs good material thickness from the different builds I've seen, I really would probably only "need" 1 viewing side, but hey, go big or go home right?

The planted part was why the tank is only 24" Deep, if I wasn't going to do planted I would prob change the dimensions to more of a 8'l x 3'd x 4'h.

The depth of a background would probably account for 6-8" too
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I dont know if you would have the same experience as me, but in my tank, the sterbai Cory and the three lined cory (false julii) school togther but they are almost perfect negative images of each other, which is a neat visual effect. If you did two groups of 10, that would look pretty neat!

Wow, that is a load of Cardinal tetras, and they dont look to be shoaling :) Can we have a guess the number of fish contest?

With a tank that large, a pleco or two might be nice for additional cleaning crew, along with some nerite snails.

One of my favorite fish for swimming and activity and color is the Giant Danio. Silver with some hints of yellow striping, and very active fish and eager feeders. A group of 8-12 could look very nice! If you wanted something a little more unique, you could look into Lake Inle Danios (Inlecypris auropurpurea), Gold Barb (Puntius sachsii), or the Odessa barb (Puntius padamya).

I look forward to pictures!
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

0 Not allowed!
    Eh, I've never been too big on plecos, I don't mind some (Zebra, gold nugget) but I just haven't like them since I had to move a 16" one for a friend lol
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    L144 Plecos FTW! [Mine are HUUUUGE btw - both are 5" ;-P] , Odessa barbs and apistos would not be very happy at the temps the others prefer [If you went that route].

Yeah understood about the possibilities of the 3 sided view just making sure you knew that it complicates things & not just material thickness but the structural support has to also be intense obviously.

Stock options:Depends on what temp you end up at, Larger tetras as mentioned, sailfin mollys, Rainbows. If cooler water theres lots of nice Barbs/loaches or you could actually even do clown loaches in that tank.

Just throwing a few different idea paths out for you to meander down
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, right now I'm trying to study up on some different cichlids. Have seen that EVERYONE in the buffalo fish club has them, but mostly peacocks etc, I think the tank size and # of viewing windows would depend on final location.

The fish options seem almost limited, its tough because there might be one you love, but it wouldn't work with your second favorite (means you just need another tank lol)
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread