· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Lighting issue

Hybrid View

1. Default Lighting issue

0 Not allowed!
    The ballast that came with my new tank only has space for 1 flourescent tube. Currently just a 24'' T8 17W. I am having trouble finding ANYTHING this size that has more than 20W. I have found a few 24'' that were at least in the 6700k spectrum, but still only 17W. The tank is also 21'' high.

I know the wpg rules and I know 17 is not going to cut it no matter what the spectrum especially with the height and no reflector. Anyone ever seen a 24'' tube that had higher wattage?

0 Not allowed!
    compact flourescents seem like the way to go for you.
    they provide intense light for limited spaces but however, they won't fit a normal flourescent socket because they are screw-in light bulbs.
    you likely will have to modify your hood for that.

or if you have to modify it why not just scrap it and get a good t5 light fixture designed for growing plants? whatever's cheaper i guess.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis
    compact flourescents seem like the way to go for you.
    they provide intense light for limited spaces but however, they won't fit a normal flourescent socket because they are screw-in light bulbs.
    Yeah, exactly what I use in my 10g planted. Have not had to deal with flourescent sockets before so I am just discovering how limited my options are, wondering if it's very difficult to convert it into 2 regular sockets.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    what sized tank is this and what light intensity are you looking for?
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Stock light fixtures that come with aquariums are really only meant to light up the tank so you can see the fish. For growing plants usually need to move up to a different light fixture.

If you want to grow just low light plants your current fixture is probably enough. Check out this database http://plantgeek.net/plantguide.php for a list of low light plants for ideas.
    Last edited by korith; 01-18-2013 at 02:39 AM.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    wait korith are you sure you arent thinking of pc lights not cfl? cfl are the spiral lights you can put in basic light sockets....
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex
    wait korith are you sure you arent thinking of pc lights not cfl? cfl are the spiral lights you can put in basic light sockets....
    Power compacts or compact fluorescents diff wording wording, meant same thing, just meant bulbs that look like this

old and obsolete, finding replacements will be a challenge with those since some stores have cleared the shelves of those bulbs.
    Last edited by korith; 01-18-2013 at 02:42 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishn00b
    Anyone ever seen a 24'' tube that had higher wattage?
    No, The length and power is pretty standard so you wont see much more

Quote Originally Posted by korith
    Would most likely have to get a glass top and then get a light fixture with 2 bulbs for it. Compact fluorescents do provide great lighting, but it's old tech, many stores don't even carry those light fixtures or bulbs anymore. Petsmart and I think even petco here cleared their shelves of the bulbs over a year ago. If you can pick up a used cf light fixture it might be worthwhile.
    . & +1 to that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by genocidex
    The spiral lights are CFL. So also are what he is talking about, The bulbs look like this:

The CFL light I have is this one:http://www.aquarium-supply.biz/Coral...p/res53114.htm

They use some power but are solid lighting :-D. Find some used

You will need better lighting than your ballast will provide to do a carpet & your right that the bulb you linked will require a new ballast.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The tank is a 36g bow front. I have experience with java ferns, mosses, anubas nana, swords...nothing crazy. I really wanted to do a carpet with some type of grass in this tank, not sure if that is low light or not. Then a couple larger plants in the background.

Was trying to avoid spending another $80 on a new 24'' ballast if at all possible. But I think given the height of the tank I may have no option as I doubt even low light plants would flourish with a 24 watt bulb which is the absolute highest I can find. As seen here: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...2#.UPjD5Cdpc50

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishn00b
    The tank is a 36g bow front. I have experience with java ferns, mosses, anubas nana, swords...nothing crazy. I really wanted to do a carpet with some type of grass in this tank, not sure if that is low light or not. Then a couple larger plants in the background.

Was trying to avoid spending another $80 on a new 24'' ballast if at all possible. But I think given the height of the tank I may have no option as I doubt even low light plants would flourish with a 24 watt bulb which is the absolute highest I can find. As seen here: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...2#.UPjD5Cdpc50
    If you really want a grass or other type of carpet you'll have to go with a better light fixture. Best to look around for deals or for ideas on the light fixture to go with. You are right the height of a tank is a concern, a two bulb fixture.

Another issue is some plants really need co2 added to the tank, in order to grow well. Microsword can be a pain to grow without co2 and good light. You could try dwarf saggitarius, can take just a few months to grow a nice thick mat of it with ferts and good lighting.