· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Java fern....algae/disease problem or babies?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, so its been about 3 months since i started my new 37 gal tank and my java fern has two leaves now that have like greenish fuzz around the edges and like tiny brownish/green dots on the surface. is this algae or something bad that i should be removing those two leaves or could it possibly be spores/plantlets? if needed i can get a pic probably tomorrow and sorry if this question sounds dumbish, I'm still new into the hobby.
    thanks
    ~Michael

0 Not allowed!
    if the fuzz is brown and originates somewhere on the leaf surface(not on the edges)
    or there even are little green knobs protruding from the same spot as the fuzz then you likely have java fern plantlets. let them grow a couple of leaves and good roots before detaching and replanting. if it looks like anything else then it likely is algae.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i think it is most likely algae then. should i just prune those leaves off then? none of my other plants seem to have it and i'd prefer to keep it that way lol
    Project Rebirth 20gal tall: 4 glowlights, 2 male/5 female guppies, 3 dalmation mollies, rainbow shark, otto, 2 algae eaters
    Project Utopia 37 gal: 4 angels, 2 gouramis, 4 black mollies, 4 blue platys, 5 halloween platys, striped raphael catfish, 6 albino cories, 1 panda cory, 4 black neons, 8 neons, 2 glass cats, 2 bristlenose plecos
    Shrimp Oasis 5 gal: Currently work in progress, only have plants in it yet but hopefully blue shrimp soon!!!

0 Not allowed!
    in my opinion pruning the leaves will hurt the fern(a slow grower) more than the algae, whose spores still are present in your tank and will simply find another spot to grow. find the cause of the algae(clues to be found in what type of algae it is) and fix that will be a better choice in my opinion.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    okay will do! i dont wanna lose this plant, its my first java fern and i really hope for it to fill in the area in the tank over time!
    Project Rebirth 20gal tall: 4 glowlights, 2 male/5 female guppies, 3 dalmation mollies, rainbow shark, otto, 2 algae eaters
    Project Utopia 37 gal: 4 angels, 2 gouramis, 4 black mollies, 4 blue platys, 5 halloween platys, striped raphael catfish, 6 albino cories, 1 panda cory, 4 black neons, 8 neons, 2 glass cats, 2 bristlenose plecos
    Shrimp Oasis 5 gal: Currently work in progress, only have plants in it yet but hopefully blue shrimp soon!!!