· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Ok yeah fake plants, Your fish were tank raised their entire lives and have had bright & bare bottom tanks to deal with.. Etc. This is all for you.

Why not simply ask that guy what lights and bulbs he is using?

Seems easy enough & also the shortest route to getting that lighting since he has the same tank a you. Something you might consider though is that his video is possibly a bit darker than the actual tank... Much like your picture.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Ok yeah fake plants, Your fish were tank raised their entire lives and have had bright & bare bottom tanks to deal with.. Etc. This is all for you.

Why not simply ask that guy what lights and bulbs he is using?

Seems easy enough & also the shortest route to getting that lighting since he has the same tank a you. Something you might consider though is that his video is possibly a bit darker than the actual tank... Much like your picture.
    I already did, no reply as of yet.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

0 Not allowed!
    They obviously have a black light or 50/50 on that tank & I hope you noticed that it is overstocked lol, It might not even be going anymore...
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Someone once mentioned window screening would work. But, if you are having no issues with algae, I can find no reason to dim the lights. My lights are plenty bright and I just cut my photo-period down to 6 hours a day rather than 8. Those two hours made a difference.

But you have some tall fast growers in your tank. I don't see a problem, really. I kinda work on the idea that if something is not broke, don't fix it. Your tank and plants are lovely.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, now don't I feel about dumb! Are those plastic plants? Seems they grew awfully fast if they are real. LOL Omit my last post if they are. *sheesh* I try to prove at least one time each day how dumb I can be.

The lights do not matter if the plants are plastic, BTW.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    At least I feel better now about not being the only dunce in this thread lol And btw, the purpose for dimming the lights has mostly to due with the aesthetics for the OP.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes the majority of my plants are fake :) Apart from the Java Fern I have at the front/left. I want to dim the lights partly for aesthetic reasons and party for my fish.

It seems aluminium foil should work fine as its melting point is 660'c, so I shouldnt have to worry about heat issues. I will have a mess around and see what happens. Either i'll like it or I wont

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by serbusfish
    It seems aluminium foil should work fine as its melting point is 660'c, so I shouldnt have to worry about heat issues. I will have a mess around and see what happens. Either i'll like it or I wont
    the foil isn't going to melt but the bulb itself may very well get hotter. It might not be a big deal, but depending on how warm it gets it will significantly shorten the life of the bulb or even pose a safety hazard. Personally I wouldn't, but I don't have any hard data for you.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

Aluminum foil will hold the heat in around the bulb and could very well cause the fixture to get hotter than it is designed for. I would think that could be very risky.

This might have been mentioned before and I just missed it, but could you raise the fixture a little higher above the light to reduce the amount of light getting in the tank ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you restrict the air flow around the bulbs you will have heating issues and this may cause a fire. I would not do anything that restricts the dissipation of heat from the bulb or the fixture.

I would not place anything that is affected by heat or is flammable between the bulb and the tops glass.

You could take a piece of glass, tint or paint it to block the areas you wish, and place this glass upon your top between the top glass and the bulbs with the paints etc between the top glass and the glass you color. I would not put the paint in contact with the UV radiation or heat from the bulbs.