· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Default Dimming lighting with Aluminium Foil/Electrical tape?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a Juwel Rio 125 aquarium with the standard T5 lighting and I feel it is too bright so I want to try dimming it a little. Ive read that you can use aluminium foil or electrical tape, but im just worried about the heat given off by the bulbs... can anyone confirm these would be safe to use, and if not what other methods would work? (Please dont suggest floating plants )

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Can you explain what you're doing with the aluminum foil or electrical tape? Depending on your filter (this isn't a great idea when using HOB) you can get some floating plants. They'll reduce the light going to the rest of the tank and they'll also consume a lot of nutrients making the tank healthier for fish.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkman262
    Can you explain what you're doing with the aluminum foil or electrical tape? Depending on your filter (this isn't a great idea when using HOB) you can get some floating plants. They'll reduce the light going to the rest of the tank and they'll also consume a lot of nutrients making the tank healthier for fish.
    I did mention not to suggest floating plants....

But no I have an external filter with the output just under the waters surface, and this creates a lot of surface movement (I have to turn the filter off when I feed the fish) so floating plants would just get swept around the tank.

I was going to simply either tape up sections of the bulbs or cut large sections of aluminium foil and secure them in place so they blocked out some of the light going into the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Too bright for what? Are you having algae issues
    They make the aquarium too bright for my tastes + some of my species prefer slightly subdued lighting with shady spots.
    Last edited by serbusfish; 01-17-2013 at 02:08 PM.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Do not tape the bulbs .

Personally, I wouldn't use aluminum foil either

What species? Wilds? What plants do you have to provide shade atm?

BTW Floating plants in a large enough group would simply get swept to the far corner and stay there for the most part. They don't whirlpool.

Some picS would really help here.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Why not just place a sheet of opaque plastic under the lights?
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Do not tape the bulbs .

Personally, I wouldn't use aluminum foil either

What species? Wilds? What plants do you have to provide shade atm?

BTW Floating plants in a large enough group would simply get swept to the far corner and stay there for the most part. They don't whirlpool.

Some picS would really help here.
    Tank is brighter in real life, my phone cam dimmed the picture a bit.

Species I have atm that like dim lighting are the Pentazona Barbs and the Pearl Gourami, but as I mentioned I also wanted to dim them slightly to suit my own tastes, something like this video would be fantastic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=KT9CVjqjy6Y

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by serbusfish
    I did mention not to suggest floating plants....
    Wow, I apologize. I normally don't miss stuff like that lol

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeonflame
    Why not just place a sheet of opaque plastic under the lights?
    I Could do, but that would dim the entire thing, using foil or tape i could dim certain sections.

Quote Originally Posted by funkman262
    Wow, I apologize. I normally don't miss stuff like that lol
    Thats ok

0 Not allowed!
    Cover your entire tank with a couple of layers of mosquito net. Then you will have the light uniformly dim and not have random bright and dark sports in your tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Ok yeah fake plants, Your fish were tank raised their entire lives and have had bright & bare bottom tanks to deal with.. Etc. This is all for you.

Why not simply ask that guy what lights and bulbs he is using?

Seems easy enough & also the shortest route to getting that lighting since he has the same tank a you. Something you might consider though is that his video is possibly a bit darker than the actual tank... Much like your picture.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.