· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default All Male Guppy Tank???

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, I currently have a 300 Litre Cichlid tank and I love my cichlids but sometimes they just seem like a lot of work but I do want another fish tank, but something 'easier'.

I was thinking of maybe a 2 footer and I want a community tank and I was thinking of a bunch of male guppies for the centre piece or maybe a school of neon tetra's as I have always loved those little guys.

I love guppies, but not my tanks being infested with them! So I remembered that I saw somewhere while I was searching the web one day something about an all male guppy tank. Is it possible? Without any females there I guess they would have nothing to fight about but would they all get along together?

I am still undecided on the size tank but I know I don't want something to big and I think I would like a school as a centre piece.

I think as background fish I would have a few corys and a couple of balloon mollys too.

I just want to get some idea's from people, I want something that will be a great combination but fish that are 'easy' to care for.

I just miss having a tank of fish that I don't have to worry about expensive fish being eaten or attacking one another and finally have some beautiful plants again!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Why not a mix of balloon molly's and platys with a big school of cardinals or neons, the colour/pattern mix you could get would be spectacular, although you would probably need to go a bit bigger than a 2 footer for the school sizes

0 Not allowed!
    You can do all males, but not loads of them. I currently have four in my tank, and they do well. The trick is EVEN numbers. Never have an odd number of male guppies in a tank. They tend to form teams of two, anyone singled out will be the odd man on the playground.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

Awards Showcase

A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I don't like to drink alone..... Cheers - Cliff because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura 
    for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    A lot of people go all male with guppies mostly because of there brighter colors.

If your tank is not planted to heavy you won't have a problem with overpopulation as the parents will eat the fry with no remorse if you go the mixed route. You just have to keep a ratio of one male to two females so the females do not get pestered to much.

Males will still pester each other.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Tiari about the #'s - the males tend to stick together in pairs - they are very cute to watch. There are many types of fancy tail guppies to make a colorful tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 
    Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 
    So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny 

0 Not allowed!
    What about a 29gal standard tank and you can absolutely do guppys and any other live bearer for that matter. I would recommend as a centerpiece a red sword male group of 4 maybe? They are active, get decent size and go GREAT with the bright green plants.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had an all male guppy 5 gallon tank as I kept removing the males from a 10 gallon mixed tank. For several months this tank was quite overstocked with up to 15 or more at times - not recommending this overstocking - but just sharing my experience that my males did fine together as far as their behavior. No fighting at all from my particular group. Experiences of others may differ.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Bissett
    Why not a mix of balloon molly's and platys with a big school of cardinals or neons, the colour/pattern mix you could get would be spectacular, although you would probably need to go a bit bigger than a 2 footer for the school sizes

I really am fond of this idea. Would Cherry Barbs work their way in there some how as well?

Also with school sizes, could I get a longer but thinner tank?

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    +2 for your first idea - guppies can be spectacular and neons, or cardinals are lovely in schools. Guppies are far more tolerant of water with nitrates unlike neons or cardinals so mixing these isn't easy unless you do large water changes and/or add an intank algae scrubber to lower nitrates and thus allowing for smaller water changes. A thin tank is fine - it is volume of water and how low the nitrates remain that matter: this does depend on tank size, filtration, and water changes (volume and number.)
    Last edited by Cermet; 01-12-2013 at 12:20 PM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure if barbs would work with that, as placid as cherries are, need someone with more experience to jump in there. As far as numbers go, it comes down to swimming room and what your filtration can handle. Start with low numbers, gradually increase your schools while testing parameters, if you can comfortably maintain 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates and only have 10-20 ppm nitrites a week after a water change, its coping