· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

Question SpectraPure RO/DI System

0 Not allowed!
    Wasn't sure if I should post here or in technical -

Does anyone have experience with SpectraPure RO/DI water systems?

Their CSPDI 90 gph manual flush system has been recommended to me. I am currently buying my R/O water - it would be great to have my own source. I spoke to a technician at SpectraPure yesterday and gave him my tap water parameters. He said that because of the 1.0 ppm ammonia I would need the RO/DI instead of just an RO system. He said the 90 gph unit would serve me very well. Link to specs -

http://www.spectrapure.com/St_osmo_p2.htm

I have a 75 gal FW, will be doing 30% WC each week (22.5 gal). Looking at 9 neon dwarf rainbows, 8 pristella tetras, 6 scissortail rasboras and 8 peppered cory cats, possible 1 BN cat down the road.

Any opinions or advice?
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras, Amano Shrimp, BNP. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I know for reef-owners, everyone recommends the Dow Filmtec 75 GPD RO Membrane, which is what I own as well. The lower pressure will produce purer permeate water. Will it make a noticeable difference for your tank? Probably not, but thought I'd at least share.

0 Not allowed!
    That brand is highly recommended by a few people that I know

If you use a catalytic activated carbon cartridge (instead of just activated carbon), it will help your membrane last longer as well.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good point Cliff.

Do you mind my asking why you want to use RO? Is your source water really that bad? Do you plan on breeding? Just curious. Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, I use RO/DI water for my marine tanks. My tap water is fairly good, 0 ammonia & nitrites, nitrates of just less than 1ppm, and between 150 and 200 TDS. I still prefer to use water with 0 TDS in my marine tanks but use tap water and prime for my fresh water tanks. Just my personal preference really
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    Actually, I use RO/DI water for my marine tanks. My tap water is fairly good, 0 ammonia & nitrites, nitrates of just less than 1ppm, and between 150 and 200 TDS. I still prefer to use water with 0 TDS in my marine tanks but use tap water and prime for my fresh water tanks. Just my personal preference really
    Same here. I feel that RO/DI is a must for marine tanks, but never use it for my freshwater tank. I was just curious since the OP is using it for FW, not SW. RO/DI could be an unnecessary expense, unless there's a real reason. Either way though, as you said, even if there is no real reason, it can come down to personal preference. I have the Air, Water and Ice Typhoon III 75GPD for my reef tank.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Just realized I typed 90 GPH instead of 90 GPD. The reason I buy RO water is the 1 ppm ammonia and also my ph is 8.4. Nitrates also at 10. TDS is 419. According to the city water report, the ph has been as high as 8.99. Very well buffered so cannot change the pH. Water comes from the Fox River and city wells. Because of this source water the city uses lots of Chloramine.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 01-17-2013 at 05:59 AM.
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras, Amano Shrimp, BNP. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Are you using pure RO water in your tank, or mixing RO water with your tap water ?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura
    Just realized I typed 90 GPH instead of 90 GPD. The reason I buy RO water is the 1 ppm ammonia and also my ph is 8.4. Nitrates also at 10. TDS is 419. According to the city water report, the ph has been as high as 8.99. Very well buffered so cannot change the pH. Water comes from the Fox River and city wells. Because of this source water the city uses lots of Chloramine.
    Sounds like you should be keeping African Cichlids lol

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    Are you using pure RO water in your tank, or mixing RO water with your tap water ?
    Right now I am using pure RO water (I add Seachem Replenish) from my LFS at a cost of 50 cents per gallon. Have used no tap water at all. Tank is almost done cycling and I am preparing for my first big water change (I have 35 gal RO water on hand).

This morning - .25 ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates, pH 7.4, GH 4, KH 5. I check my water parameters daily.

Cycling 2 weeks with Tetra Safe Start, 7 neon dwarf rainbows and 4 scissortail rasboras. All fish happy and healthy with no losses. Cycling going exactly as it should. Please don't be upset I used the Safe Start - it was recommended by my LFS - they use it regularly for new tank set-ups in the store and with customer new tank set-ups. I spoke to Tetra before doing this and have followed their directions to the letter. Should be done cycling within the next few days.