· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady 
    Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vafa
    actully i have done this myself with soil for aquariums
    to quick to judge bro
    Judging from the many posts you have on the forum, and the one in this thread, I am not judging too quickly... Bro.

Last time I checked, I was not a bro, but just to be sure, I will go check again now.
    Last edited by mommy1; 01-17-2013 at 03:22 AM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I see where this is going lol.

From my own experience, soil is not easily added to an aquarium. I started my tank with soil topped off with a 1" cap of sand before I even filled the tank up with water and it still wasn't fun to deal with. After not too long of trimming and replanting and moving plants around, my entire sand cap just mixed in with the soil, and then any slight disturbance kicked the soil up into the water column. All it took was a fish swimming too fast above the substrate any my tank became a muddy mess. I would not advice someone to ever simply add soil on top of existing substrate. Besides, soil is best used as a base substrate since that's where the plants would be acquiring its nutrients through the roots, so putting it over inert gravel would be counter-intuitive and quite pointless.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Easy guys! No throwing mud at each other allowed in my thread! I won't be using dirt as a substrate in this tank so that argument belongs some where else... Funkman posted as I was typing this with some good advice on why dirt is a bad choice for this tank and where I want to go with it. Let's leave it at that and move on...
    Last edited by SomethingIsFishy; 01-17-2013 at 03:29 AM.

Exclamation It's your tank bro - Love it :-P

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkman262
    I see where this is going lol.

From my own experience, soil is not easily added to an aquarium. I started my tank with soil topped off with a 1" cap of sand before I even filled the tank up with water and it still wasn't fun to deal with. After not too long of trimming and replanting and moving plants around, my entire sand cap just mixed in with the soil, and then any slight disturbance kicked the soil up into the water column. All it took was a fish swimming too fast above the substrate any my tank became a muddy mess. I would not advice someone to ever simply add soil on top of existing substrate. Besides, soil is best used as a base substrate since that's where the plants would be acquiring its nutrients through the roots, so putting it over inert gravel would be counter-intuitive and quite pointless.
    Yup, Mud puddle.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!

Here's a "before" shot. The blurry fish in that pic are zebra danios who have been rehomed because (a) they are too active for a 10 gal tank and (b) they were stressing my gourami.

Will upload more pics soon...

6. Default

0 Not allowed!

Floaters added, plastic plants still in there...

All fake plants out except for the ones that are part of the fake driftwood and java fern in.

Current full shot with water sprite added.

Awards Showcase

For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady 
    Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Well done, that is a nice looking tank.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! It's not done yet though... watch for updates...

0 Not allowed!
    Do you plan to add any other fish to it? Or just sticking with the one DG

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That is a very nice tank!

Are you still planning and doing shrimps? If so what kind are you going with.

I have recently be fascinated with the Yellow Neon Shrimp, Blue Pearl Shrimp, and Orange Sakura Shrimp.

I have had huge success with low tech semi-planted tank. I have a 55-gal with 1 bag is flourite substrate, with some regular aquarium gravel ontop. I use a 48" 6700K bulb and a 48" ColorMax Bulb about 10-12 hours a day. I have minimal trace algae that is quickly eaten my snails, and algea eaters. I vacuum the substrate once every 10-14 days and I dont vacuum too close to the plants. The fish waste feeds them nicely and they are growing very nicely.

Good luck sir, and i want to see shrimp!

**on a side note, I think the term clown puke does infer a negative opinion, I just happen to agree with that opinion.

** momma1 - can I call you "bra"? :)

You would have to do some serious work and research on your soil in order to avoid a mud pit. I dont think its worth it.
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012