· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Here we go... it's spreading...

0 Not allowed!
    After starting my 5.5 planted tank my other tank looked, well, fake. I decided to go low tech planted in that one too...

The tank is a standard 10 gallon (that's as big as I can go in this apartment... grrr) with a lone dwarf gourami. There was an assortment of plastic plants and fake driftwood. The plastic plants are all gone and have been replaced with a huge bunch of unidentified floating plants (gourami absolutely loves them!) and one java fern from my 5.5. The driftwood will be replaced with real stuff soon and I will be adding more low tech plants.

I am hoping the plants will do ok in regular gravel, changing substrates sounds like a rather daunting task. I will be using liqiud ferts, and possibly root tabs... your thoughts??

Lighting is one 15 watt T8.

Pics coming this afternoon...

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Many people have success with regular substrate instead of plant-substrate (like soil, ecocomplete, fluorite, etc.), especially in low-tech tanks with low-light plants. I think the only time people have issues with gravel is when trying to grow certain carpeting plants that prefer sand. If you do decide to go with a plant-substrate, I doubt it would be too much hassle to switch it out, but like I said, probably not necessary in your case. Looks like you have a fun project going. You should also post a pic of the 5.5g tank so we can see what inspired you to convert the 10g.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Plus 1 to the above post.

Keep it simple with live plants and you'll be satisfied with the results.

As funkman262 said, "You should also post a pic of the 5.5g tank so we can see what inspired you to convert the 10g."
    A picture is worth a thousand word.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    And btw if you want to add a soil you could by just adding it to your gravel if its not too high

Thumbs down

0 Not allowed!
    I'd wager you have not done this as you describe it below?

Quote Originally Posted by vafa
    And btw if you want to add a soil you could by just adding it to your gravel if its not too high
    ...If you want a mud puddle . Do not do this without much research and some plans to cap it with something.

What do you mean by 'regular gravel'? Pea gravel? or the smaller sized aquarium rocks that are sometimes painted like clown vomit? Pics please. Changing substrate in a 10G is nbd btw.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 01-17-2013 at 02:47 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    What do you mean by 'regular gravel'? Pea gravel? or the smaller sized aquarium rocks that are sometimes painted like clown vomit?
    Stop hatin' bro. My favorite tank is my blacklight tank using "clown vomit" gravel, various colored marbles, neon plants and glofish.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vafa
    Mixing gravel and soil will result in a muddy mess. Like 850r says it has to be properly capped and not just mixed in. Also, if you use the wrong kind it could create even more trouble. Vafa, you shouldn't give advice you obviously haven't researched or know from experience.
    SomethingIsFishy, aquarium gravel is fine for plants and all you have to do is supplement with ferts. You will have to research the type of plant you decide to buy to see if they are heavy root feeders, which will need root tabs or if they get their nutrients from the water column, which will need liquid ferts.

Funkman... to each their own I suppose.. I had clown vomit gravel in a tank once too... I was 5 years old.
    Last edited by mommy1; 01-17-2013 at 02:58 AM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Talking

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkman262
    Stop hatin' bro. My favorite tank is my blacklight tank using "clown vomit" gravel, various colored marbles, neon plants and glofish.
    Your defensiveness about your decor choice speaks for itself but for the record:

My statement made no reference to any connotation either positive or negative. It was descriptive and obviously effective since you knew which size gravel I meant.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=109360
    Here's the journal for the 5.5.

I have always liked the "natural" look, so the 10 has a nice lighter brown pea sized smooth gravel. No offence to the clown puke lovers, if that's your thing go for it.

I don't want to have a glass box full of mud, and I don't want to get to crazy with the plant selection, so it looks like the current gravel will work fine. I will use root tabs if I plant any root feeders...

The gourami is so thrilled with his new plants. I'm seeing a lot more of him! It's cool to see him weaving thru the "foliage"...

Pics coming soon... I promise...

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1
    Mixing gravel and soil will result in a muddy mess. Like 850r says it has to be properly capped and not just mixed in. Also, if you use the wrong kind it could create even more trouble. Vafa, you shouldn't give advice you obviously haven't researched or know from experience.
    SomethingIsFishy, aquarium gravel is fine for plants and all you have to do is supplement with ferts. You will have to research the type of plant you decide to buy to see if they are heavy root feeders, which will need root tabs or if they get their nutrients from the water column, which will need liquid ferts.

Funkman... to each their own I suppose.. I had clown vomit gravel in a tank once too... I was 5 years old.
    actully i have done this myself with soil for aquariums
    to quick to judge bro