· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Possible ich out break

0 Not allowed!
    I might be dealing with ich for the first time. I've had 8 blood fin tetra in my 20 gallon tall since Saturday. Today I noticed that a couple of them have little spots that look like glitter. They are all acting normal but not sure if this is ich or not sorry can't post pictures, don't have a camera...

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like it and the timing of seeing ick is about right. I would get some medication in there right away before any reproducing can start. You need not turn your heat up when using medications. Better not to.

Turn heat to 82 and use aquarium salt......1 T. per 5 gallons......or...
    Turn heat up to 86-87 and do nothing else......or...
    Use medications and do not turn heat up beyond 82.

You do not need to combine numerous treatments. It's too stressful for fish. Drop water level or add an airstone for more aeration.

(My preference is Quick Cure with a temp to 82.) I used that method the last time I had ick and it didn't take it long at all. Also, what other fish are in the tank? Not all fish appreciate all treatments so that would be helpful to know.

Also, if you use a medication, pay attention to instructions. Many tetra's can only take half-doses of some of the medications.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 01-16-2013 at 04:43 PM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    do the spots look shiny? Or are they tiny white flecks? what are your parameters? Are any of the fish ''flashing'' against objects in the tank?
    Last edited by gurglegurgle; 01-16-2013 at 04:43 PM.
    Water changes are key to healthy fish!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    LH: I've brought the temp up from 78 to 80 and I'll go pick up some Quick Cure. The tank is new and its only the 8 tetra.
    Gurgle: The spots are shinny I first noticed it when one of them was flashing the side of the tank. My parameters are 0 ammonia and nitrites and 5 ppm nitrates.

0 Not allowed!
    That's normal temps for fish anyway. How cool did you have the tank?

Good luck. Just follow directions and you'll be fine. Catching it quickly before the ick starts sucking on the blood is good.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I always had excellent results with water temp of 82 to 84 and aquarium salt. But this method must be maintained for about a week and a half to two weeks break the reproductive cycle o prevent immediate reinfestation but ymmv.
    Water changes are key to healthy fish!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It was at 78 degrees and I'm slowly moving it to 82. Just want to make sure I have the directions for Quick Cure right, for a 20 gallon tank with tetras I add 10 drops every 24 hours for 3 days doing a 25% W/C before the next dose then a 50% W/C at the end right? Anything else I should know before I start treatment?

0 Not allowed!
    Make sure there is no charcoal in the filters until after treatment then replace it.

I do not have the directions right here so just add one half the amount for tetra's IF the directions say so. Some medications say that and others do not. If you would rather, you can just use aquarium salt and you will not have to keep dosing or doing water changes as gurgle mentioned. And you can use the full recommended amount of 1 T. per 5 gallons. You also will not have to remove the charcoal.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've got the Quick Cure and begging treatment now. Thanks for the help.