· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: QT strategy

1. Default QT strategy

0 Not allowed!
    Backstory - If you don't care skip to the bottom :)
    I'm getting better at this hobby, but I'm still new. I keep up with my 55 gallon Mbuna tank. Every week I do around a 30% water change at the end of the week before the water change Nitrates are at around 20. I had a huge 8yr old Female Kenyi cichlid, 7 yr old Red tailed shark, 20yr old common Pleco that my mom bought in 1990, 3 yellow labs, 3 Yellow tailed acei, and 2 bristlenose pleco. One yellow lab was holding and my BN plecos had a fry. For the first time with this tank and the second time since I entered to hobby, I purchased fish that ruined my setup. three weeks ago I bought 1 more yellow lab and 1 more yellow tailed acei. Two weeks later, the Kenyi stopped eating, bloated and died (rather quickly). Then last week all on my fish started flashing, color looked like crap and some were swimming strangly , some of them were not using their fins. I checked and I had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate, ph 8.1, temp 79. I did another 50% water change and I treated with Coppersafe thinking they had a parasite. After a few days no improvement. I added salt to the tank (I never put salt in the tank). The next day the remaining of my cichlids looked the same and were still flashing. More concerning my Red tailed shark was covered in clear slime and her eyes were gray, she died that night. I added Melafix to the tank. This morning the yellow labs that wern't using their fins were using them again, the aceis still look bad and my pleco is swimming way more than normal and it looks like he will sadly die after being in the family for so long. I'm plan to continue to treat with the Melafix and do a few extra water changes and hope that this disease runs its coarse.

SO I AM CONVINCED, having a QT is a must!. I am buying a 10gallon because it will fit inside my 55gallon stand. I am going to run 2 tetra 10 gallon filters on it and cycle it with ammonia and use ammonia to keep it cycled. I'm looking for advise on what I should treat my QT tank with when I buy fish. They will be treated no matter what and they will stay in that tank for atleast 4 weeks.

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddarko2215
    [TL/DNR & the shortcut is appreciated ]
    SO I AM CONVINCED, having a QT is a must!. I am buying a 10gallon because it will fit inside my 55gallon stand. I am going to run 2 tetra 10 gallon filters on it and cycle it with ammonia and use ammonia to keep it cycled. I'm looking for advise on what I should treat my QT tank with when I buy fish. They will be treated no matter what and they will stay in that tank for atleast 4 weeks.
    Glad you will be using a QT, IMO it's not optional. There's no need to keep the QT tank full with two filters going.

Here's a good read for you. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=77072
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 on the above - most people who keep tanks for quarantine purposes, run extra filters on their main tank at all times, then move them to the QT for an instant cycle - just add dechorinated water and you're set!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So according to that Sticky, PreziPro and Metro would be a good preventative combo. What about Bacterial disease preventative ?

0 Not allowed!
    It's not advised to treat for an illness that you can't see symptoms of.

The meds mentioned are for internal parasites that fish could be harboring (like de-worming them). Bacterial infections generally have external signs that can be identified.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good point. I'll just run an additional small filter on my display tank. Man, I was just starting to feel good about my fish keeping abilities until this outbreak.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Got it. Well I think you both answered my questions. Thank you!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddarko2215
    Good point. I'll just run an additional small filter on my display tank. Man, I was just starting to feel good about my fish keeping abilities until this outbreak.
    Make sure that whatever filter you get to use with your QT is rated for at least double the size of your QT - like rated for at least 20gal if you're using a 10gal tank. - along with a separate heater & thermometer.

I know what you mean - I got myself a QT when a new platy came in with ick and infected several fish & I lost a few.

Treating 1 or 2 fish in quarantine is cheaper & easier than infecting your whole tank with something and having other fish to worry about.