· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Dechlorinator Cost-Effectiveness

0 Not allowed!
    I got bored for a few minutes so I thought I'd put this together in case anyone is interested in how much their dechlorinators are costing them.

Doc1.jpg

These calculations are based on the dosing instructions listed on the manufacturers' websites and reasonable costs per bottle listed on the internet. This is comparing a 250g bottle of Safe, 500mL bottle of Prime, and 16 oz bottle of Ammo Lock.

If you would like me to run the calculations for another product, feel free to ask.

Thumbs up You have to love Seachem :-D

0 Not allowed!
    Yup, I buy my Prime from Kens for 36.99 Per 2L [Cheaper than Amazon], It's literally half the price by volume compared to 250ml at petsmart.

I still might switch to Safe though.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Prime is definitely more convenient than Safe as it's in a liquid form, and from what I understand about Safe you can't just make your own solution to use over time because there's no stabilizer in it. Safe is much more convenient though for very large tanks or ponds.

0 Not allowed!
    That is my understanding also, I'd have to become 850R mix-alot and this is what stops me from swapping over.
    Considering how long 36$ worth of prime lasts I am not sold on it being worth going through the effort to save 10 or 15$ you know?
    I do think about trying it though ..
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How about the "ageing water in a bucket" method?

0.00 0.00 0.00

Thats how much i spend treating water
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazedMichael
    How about the "ageing water in a bucket" method?

0.00 0.00 0.00

Thats how much i spend treating water
    Doesn't work for chloramines... Also not good if you have high ammonia coming out of the tap and don't want to introduce that into the tank.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed.

But im lucky not to have chloramines. The only thing i need to treat for is chlorine which is easy enough.
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

0 Not allowed!
    There are two problems with SAFE.
    One, you can't make up a long term stock solution.
    Two, you have to order a set of the extra small measuring spoons to ladle the stuff into your tank. ;-)

A small third issue is that SAFE isn't stocked routinely at most shops. None in my area. I have no option but on line ordering. On the other hand, I've been using the same bottle on my 75g for years and you can barely tell it's been opened.

I use Prime on my smaller tanks and a syringe to squirt the correct doses.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    I use Prime in the freshwater tanks and RO water in my newly set-up reef tank. Should RO water be treated? I just took it for granted that an RO system would be inert enough. Now I have another search to do.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    Strider, RO water with 0 tds contains nothing. No need for dechlorinator
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]