· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the award - Brookfish Thanks for the rep :-) - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas! - The Red Severum merry christmas - mommy1 Seasons greetings have a great christmas - Celtic Fins 
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat Happy Holidays! - King Tut Merry Christmas! - rich311k Wishing You A Very Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year. - Celtic Fins 
    Happy New Year to the forum 'funny' guy. AKA...MR. NYLONS. - gabbyguppy Congratulations on your rep star - Celtic Fins Another round for my friends - mommy1 Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1 After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 
    Hope you are well man - robflanker Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy Birthday - mommy1 Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster 

Default keeping tanks warm in a cool basement?

0 Not allowed!
    Well I had a great plan for my fish room but like most great plans... crap happens. So my budget has been tashed to the point I have about $200 thanks to my car and washer at the same time. Needless to say that wont frame out and insulate my basement. The basement gets to about 60 degrees through the winter so i need a way to try to keep the tanks warm or at least retain heat a bit better so my tanks heaters wont have to work as hard. I was thinking of using foam insulation around the tanks. Think this work for a while until I get back on track? Open to any other ideas too
    thanks
    Angel breeder wanna-be

0 Not allowed!
    The heaters will keep them where they should be if you have high enough wattage to do the job. Obviously they will have to work harder but we only have 3 months to go and things will began to warm up abit. Before my son had his basement insultated and paneled, he stuck foam to the walls behind the tanks.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 01-18-2013 at 12:09 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Insulation panels work. Had a tank out on the balcony last year, had it sitting on a piece of insulation and made a box that was just taped insulation panels. Was able to keep temperatures bearable. Have seen some posts on monsterfishkeepers, where people have partitioned off some room in the basement just using plastic sheeting and a bit of framing. That way they can run a room heater in a smaller enclosed area.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by korith
    Insulation panels work. Had a tank out on the balcony last year, had it sitting on a piece of insulation and made a box that was just taped insulation panels. Was able to keep temperatures bearable. Have seen some posts on monsterfishkeepers, where people have partitioned off some room in the basement just using plastic sheeting and a bit of framing. That way they can run a room heater in a smaller enclosed area.

MFK is a good place for fish room info, those guys are great. anyway at my dollar tree, they have almost like big poster board sheets but it is like foam. just get pieces all around tank except front. then against the wall id insulate it down with foam or somthing. may have to run a de-humidifier. I love this site aswell as mfk. both are good resource but more people obessivaly get in the hobby over there and have lots of fish room DIY stuff

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelfish11788
    MFK is a good place for fish room info, those guys are great. anyway at my dollar tree, they have almost like big poster board sheets but it is like foam. just get pieces all around tank except front. then against the wall id insulate it down with foam or somthing. may have to run a de-humidifier. I love this site aswell as mfk. both are good resource but more people obessivaly get in the hobby over there and have lots of fish room DIY stuff
    Love the dollar tree, or any type of dollar store. A lot of my diy aquarium stuff comes from there. You can get a 4x8 sheet of rigid insulation panel from home depot, i think in the $10-15 range. A few of those sheets could be put up temporarily to make a room maybe?

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the award - Brookfish Thanks for the rep :-) - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas! - The Red Severum merry christmas - mommy1 Seasons greetings have a great christmas - Celtic Fins 
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat Happy Holidays! - King Tut Merry Christmas! - rich311k Wishing You A Very Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year. - Celtic Fins 
    Happy New Year to the forum 'funny' guy. AKA...MR. NYLONS. - gabbyguppy Congratulations on your rep star - Celtic Fins Another round for my friends - mommy1 Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1 After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 
    Hope you are well man - robflanker Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy Birthday - mommy1 Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster 

0 Not allowed!
    Originally i was going to put the foam board around the room. Its 24x24 so its about $400 for just the foam. So right now I'm dialing my plans back to pretty just the 2 8' shelves i have. Thats why i was thinking just around the tanks for now.

You have a good point Lady Hobbs... Spring is coming. the heaters have more than enough watts for the job.

Just dont want to set up too much until I get the room set up. The money I have right now is pretty much for air. Might just have to stall this out for a while. If I dont get these tanks out of the dining room soon though my wife is going to drown me in them. Lol
    Angel breeder wanna-be

0 Not allowed!
    I keep my 55 gal in my living room, which I keep at 62F to keep the heat bill down. The heater doesn't work very hard.

But I feel like the majority of the heat will be lost out of the top. So I think you should focus there

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    A very cheap option could be bubble wrap? Its a very good insulator due to the air it can hold. Also a very very cheap option for the short term
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    The heaters will keep them where they should be if you have high enough wattage to do the job. Obviously they will have to work harder but we only have 3 months to go and things will began to warm up abit. Before my son had his basement insultated and paneled, he stuck foam to the walls behind the tanks.

Glass hoods on the top of your tanks and oversized heaters should take care of it. You'll pay a bit more up front for the heaters, but you'll save in the long run on energy costs because they won't run as often.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    That's how my son kept his, Taurus. He had a 300 watt heater (for a 55 gallon) and a glass lid.

But so much cold was coming from the cement wall behind the tank, he just hung up a sheet of styrofoam so the tank would not be so near the source of so much coldness. Obviously you need a good heater.